• Quick Navigation
Photo

From what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual when manufacturing is outsourced

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

cows&methane

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:36 PM

Hi

I am new to all this and in the process of creating a Food Safety and Quality Manual (ISO 22000 format) for our small start-up. We developed an animal feed product. All manufacturing, processing and packaging is outsourced. Part is done overseas, and then final product is blended in the US. The Contract Manuf here in the US is a certified Food Manufacturing facility (SQF, etc) and has all the required procedures for sanitation, hazard plan, etc. I am working with the overseas manufacturer to get those documents in place to meet FSVP requirements. They are FDA registered. 

But for my ISO 22000 documents - I am unclear - from what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual? Here at our headquarters we only have a lab and develop and test ingredients.

For example -  Hazard analysis - which one do I include? From both manufacturers? Or do I exclude those processes under Scope?

What about Work Environment? Or handling of Emergencies? Do I only cover processes that pertain to our headquarters or do I cover all locations and all outsourced processes?

Thank you for any guidance with this.

Edited by cows&methane, 29 March 2024 - 11:38 PM.

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 April 2024 - 05:25 PM

It is a requirement in the US to have a Qualified Individual developing the food safety program. Correct me if I am wrong, it appears you do not have the experience or knowledge to develop the food safety programs and the FSVP program that is required by law. If that is correct, I highly recommend in investing in a consultant to develop the programs, provide training and then follow up with the required law mandated food safety certifications on your end so that you can maintain the food safety and FSVP program.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users