• 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:09 PM

Happy Friday, everyone.

My question is for people who have left a company due to lack of support or differences in opinion.

As others have said, if things don't change, it's time to go.

I have gone above and beyond to ensure food safety. Thankfully, I have kept a journal of all projects, SOPs, and programs I have created. 

I am worried that the company will not give a positive reference despite all my hard work.

Has this situation impacted your ability to find another job?

It will be easy to explain in an interview, but I am worried about what my previous employer may say about me.

If they can't support me as an employee, why would they support me once I leave?

Hoping to hear some of your experiences in switching companies. Thank you in advance. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:16 PM

I would just ask any new potential employer to not contact your current and leave at that.  No sense in using a reference if they are not providing you with your projected value to the new company and do your really want to let your current job know you are looking elsewhere?  If there is someone in your current job that can provide a good reference then use them and maybe say don't talk to anyone about it, if they can be trusted that is.  

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

MMQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:47 PM

I don't give references voluntarily, usually none are needed and I have gotten the jobs based on the interview because if you know your stuff it shows. If im asked, i have coworkers that know my work that will be truthful. I have the same issue as you, i would select don't contact employer if its an option.

Thanked by 1 Member:

WanderingFSM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2024 - 09:17 PM

Tough spot, I've been there and feel for you.  I agree, if you don't have someone there that knows you are doing good work that you can list specifically, I wouldn't list that company as one to contact.  My last place was a nightmare, luckily I had a lot of support from my Director and I listed them.  If I didn't have them, I would have stated "Please don't contact this company" 

I still think about it though.  How long can a facility run like that before someone gets hurt? How come there seems to be so many that are willing to cut corners?  They all have that "it won't happen to us" attitude even though the signs are there.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,684 posts
  • 1145 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 April 2024 - 09:44 PM

I agree with both above.

There is no reason to volunteer references and if asked why you don't want them to contact your last employer just tell them truth, that your employer was not meeting the same standards that they required of you - I'm thinking this sounds about right for you from what you mentioned and that is exactly what I said to someone at a company that I wanted to work for and then added, I am assuming Joanne that your company holds their employees to high standards - would you not agree that in turn as an employee you should hold them to the same high standards -   --- I remember somebody telling me to say that and it worked!!!

As an independent SQF Consultant that is self employed I get asked on almost every single development project for references, even from ones that were referred to me by a company that used our services for years. I just tell people I don't do references, I do superb work, period.  Do the same, it works when you carry yourself confidently.

References are over-rated anyway, and then you have to pay them off later on - just kidding!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 202 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:13 PM

I've never included references unless specifically asked. In the past I've asked that my former/current employer not be contacted unless to verify employment after I've been hired at the new company. Most places will respect that, and if they don't, it's likely a sign that you might not want to work for that company anyway.

I recommend networking by adding food industry recruiters on LinkedIn and contacting them to see if they have anything you may be a fit for. All of my positions in the industry so far were the result of recruiters reaching out to me during my job search. Keeping a good relationship with a few recruiters also comes in handy if you run into a situation like the one you're in and are looking to leave. 

Good luck in your job search!

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, everyone. I know I can always count on this forum for support.

You all have been a huge help in my career, and I'll always be grateful for that.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users