Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

HI all, I am trying to get ideas on how we can have a contingency plan if our water source is contaminated/non-potable.  We do not use water for formulas. We use water for cleaning. Our water is from the city. We clean daily. We use water hoses and attach a foaming gun to clean majority of our equipment which takes lots of hot water. I am not sure how we would be able to bring in enough water to clean and place the water into our hot water tanks? Are we able to put our contingency plan is to shut down and work with the city? I understand for handwashing we are able to rent stations. Thanks! 

• lorlandini likes this

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:25 PM

Afternoon Ral,

So, from what I've experienced (my info was SQF8, take it with a grain of salt), SQF cant really tell you what to do in that situation, aside from not using contaminated water in any way that could impact the safety of the food. They want you to have a plan, and have it documented.

So, they are looking for wording like "will not use contaminated water" "will cease production until" or in your case "will not clean equipment with contaminated water". 

You very well might have to list that your plan is to cease production until the city water can be made safe. This might give you an idea:

• Boil water order enforced
    • ​Cease all production until XX city gives all clear and boil water order is rescinded
  • Post-Boil Order Enforced
    • Flush all pipes/faucets including all welfare or staff amenities (i.e., fountains, ice makers, direct piped coffee makers or filter water coolers, etc.)
    • Follow the directions of your water utility or, as general guidance, run cold water faucets for at least 5 minutes.
    • Equipment with waterline connections must be flushed, cleaned, and sanitized in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
    • Remove and replace any water filter (pads or cartridges or similar) that may be connected to any water lines.
    • Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle.
    • Drain reservoirs in tall buildings
    • Water heaters may need to be disinfected and flushed to remove any contaminated water. Some types of water treatment devices may need to be disinfected and flushed to remove any contaminated water or replaced before being used.  Check with the manufacturer for details.

• Mulan1010 and lorlandini like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
almaberthoud , mp45

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users