• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

We have started to subcontract some work to a sporking/ padding company. When I have looked into BRC/IOP requirements i need a procedure in place. Can anyone help?
I know i need to do a hazard analysis

Dear All,
I have a similar question that is almost similar to the above. ISO 22000 requires FSMS to have control over all oursourced processes that may affect end product conformity.
Scenario 1 - We ask a Company to co-pack for us base on our "secret recipe" Pineapple Jam at their facility which is certified to ISO 22000. Thats well and good. We have no issues on the term outsource processing!

Scenario 2 - We ask a Company to supply us de-skinned fresh pineapples for us. Subsequently, we process our own Pineapple Jam.

Since we do not grow them or de-skin the fresh pineapples and these processes are obviously performed by another party in the "other" food chain, are these considered out-sourced processes that are the purview of ISO 22000 requirements or are these simply considered as purely "ingredients" coming through the food chain or do we consider all ingredients as "out-outsourced processes". :biggrin: :dunno: :whistle:

Your comments appreaciated.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

Dear Charles Chew:

For me, I will categorise it as 'ingredient'.

How about the others?

Yong

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hi Yong,

TQ for responding.
Generally, since we do not process "ingredients" per se on our own, is it probably not wrong to consider these ingredients that are processed by external parties to be deemed out-source processed.

And, perhaps, for that reason we do need to perform a risk assessment on potential hazards on all types of ingredient on top of performing a hazard determination of hazards on the process.

What do you think of this angle of interpretation?

Regards
Charles

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

NAbbott

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:35 PM

I would say :-

Ingredient if you purchase the peeled pineapples from this source.

Outsourced process if you purchase the pineapples (from another source), then this source peels them and then provides you with them

Regards.

Albert Chambers

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

In Scenario 2 the pineapples would be an input. ISO 22000 requires the purchaser to set food safety expectations for this input as per Section 7 and Section 5.6.1 and have procedures in place to verify that the input met these requirements.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

In Scenario 2 the pineapples would be an input. ISO 22000 requires the purchaser to set food safety expectations for this input as per Section 7 and Section 5.6.1 and have procedures in place to verify that the input met these requirements.

However, Clause 4.1 of the Standard requires us to ensure control over all outsourced processes. Since we do not grow or peel these pineapples, I am encouraged to consider this "input" as out-sourced processes instead of out-sourced purchases while 5.6.2 refers to external communications related to food safety issues covering regulatory and customer requirements in general.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users