Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

Can I get a clue on expected internal and external communication is demanded in ISO 22000.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

I’m no expert but can offer some general suggestions. Effective communication in any company is vital and needs to be well planned, well structured and holistic. Meaning there would need to be active and current communication vehicles within departments, cross functionally, top down and bottom up.

Internal communication in a FSMS context would ensure that current and/or any new development in food safety issues are communicated to affected personnel. In addition the effectiveness and efficiency of the FSMS must be monitored and measured regularly and the outputs communicated through scheduled staff meetings, refresher training, and supervision of work and provision of visual information such as policies, posters and charts etc.

The FSMS team would be central to delivering this but it would not be all one way they would need information to ensure their knowledge and the FSMS remain current and improve. They would need to tap into new product development, new suppliers and materials or changes to current suppliers and materials, changes to production systems, processes, personnel and procedures, regulatory and legislative requirements, customer complaints and enquiries from customers.

I find external communication more difficult but it could for instance include changes to product specifications, intended use, labeling, specific storage requirements, shelf life etc, and also maybe changes to the FSMS. These could be considered to be communicated to interested customers. Oh and of course product withdrawal or recall.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

I’m no expert but can offer some general suggestions. Effective communication in any company is vital and needs to be well planned, well structured and holistic. Meaning there would need to be active and current communication vehicles within departments, cross functionally, top down and bottom up.

Internal communication in a FSMS context would ensure that current and/or any new development in food safety issues are communicated to affected personnel. In addition the effectiveness and efficiency of the FSMS must be monitored and measured regularly and the outputs communicated through scheduled staff meetings, refresher training, and supervision of work and provision of visual information such as policies, posters and charts etc.

The FSMS team would be central to delivering this but it would not be all one way they would need information to ensure their knowledge and the FSMS remain current and improve. They would need to tap into new product development, new suppliers and materials or changes to current suppliers and materials, changes to production systems, processes, personnel and procedures, regulatory and legislative requirements, customer complaints and enquiries from customers.

I find external communication more difficult but it could for instance include changes to product specifications, intended use, labeling, specific storage requirements, shelf life etc, and also maybe changes to the FSMS. These could be considered to be communicated to interested customers. Oh and of course product withdrawal or recall.

:smarty: Simon, for not being an expert, you provide a pretty good list.

The information is also listed in Section 5.6 of the ISO 22000 standard. Simon got most of it but on external you also want to consider regulatory authoriites (like the FDA is the US) and other sources (industry organizations, magazine, association memberships, etc). We have several people that get FDA updates to keep track of recalls that may impact our products. I get several online magazine and newsletters to stay on top of industry changes or issues.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

:smarty: Simon, for not being an expert, you provide a pretty good list.

The information is also listed in Section 5.6 of the ISO 22000 standard. Simon got most of it but on external you also want to consider regulatory authoriites (like the FDA is the US) and other sources (industry organizations, magazine, association memberships, etc). We have several people that get FDA updates to keep track of recalls that may impact our products. I get several online magazine and newsletters to stay on top of industry changes or issues.

Very good point Mr Smith. Could we call them 'Interested Parties' - that term always amuses me.

Is this helpful 22000?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

Very good point Mr Smith. Could we call them 'Interested Parties' - that term always amuses me.

Is this helpful 22000?

During our stage 1 audit we were asked to list the outside communications we used/received that kept us updated on industry and regulation changes, issues, happenings, etc.

I list IFSQN as a resource! :thumbup:

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

You both help me a lot . :clap:

I know communication is more important than I did before and agree to this.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users