• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hi Everyone

Here is a question from a level 3 Supervising Food Safety Paper. I am an instructor and feel this particular question is difficult and challenges me, never mind my learners:

It is best practice for drains to have?

a. Sufficient fall to allow solids and liquid waste to flow away
b. The direction of flow away from clean to dirty areas
c. Integrated grease traps
d. Double sealed inspection covers

Th reason it challenges me is the c and d answers both possibly being correct. Sprenger referrs to the integrated grease traps as debris traps; would you say these are one in the same?

Double sealed covers is another possible correct answer. My awarding body contact is not even sure as they claim not to be involved in writing the papers.

Let's get together on this one to see what people think. I personally over analyse such questions and end up pickling the heads of my students.

Many thanks to all...

Martin

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Ha! I would have said a and b are definitely correct for high care / high risk areas but I don't understand what c and d mean! I have Level 4 as well which is worrying!

A would be correct because if you don't have sufficient fall (ie sufficient angle) on drains, you will get pooling water.

B could be correct because if you have a high and low care (or high and low risk) area, you don't want drains leading into water which could be from (for example) raw meat run off in a cooked meat area, you would want the waste water from the cooked area to feed in first then to be joined with the raw meat waste once it's left the high risk department so that could be what they mean from "clean to dirty" but it depends on your interpretation.

gtjs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi Martin,

I assume the question is from Level 3 CIEH & you need 1 answer from the 4 choices? All 4 possible answers are mentioned in the CIEH course book on page 78, i.e.

"There must be sufficient drainage in a good state of order and repair, laid to an adequate fall and flowing from clean/high risk to dirty/raw; all gulleys must have traps; internal inspection holes should be double sealed - grease traps may be necessary."

If we take that literally & to the letter, then perhaps we should disregard c) & d) because the book says grease traps may be necessary & that internal inspection holes should be double sealed? That still leaves a) & b), but b) isn't crucial unless you have a high risk area, so I'd have to go with a), which is vital for any functioning drain (unless the question specifies "high risk").

All my instincts tell me to go with b) but I'll stick with a)!
Cheers,
Gary

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi Everyone

Here is a question from a level 3 Supervising Food Safety Paper. I am an instructor and feel this particular question is difficult and challenges me, never mind my learners:

It is best practice for drains to have?

a. Sufficient fall to allow solids and liquid waste to flow away
b. The direction of flow away from clean to dirty areas
c. Integrated grease traps
d. Double sealed inspection covers

Th reason it challenges me is the c and d answers both possibly being correct. Sprenger referrs to the integrated grease traps as debris traps; would you say these are one in the same?

Double sealed covers is another possible correct answer. My awarding body contact is not even sure as they claim not to be involved in writing the papers.

Let's get together on this one to see what people think. I personally over analyse such questions and end up pickling the heads of my students.

Many thanks to all...

Martin

Another one of those lovely CIEH questions!!

IMO the key to it all is 'best practice'

a- it ain't best practice to put solids down the drain-so having a fall to facilitate this is unneccessary
b-i think this is pretty much a standard situation-not best practice
d-best practice would be to have inspection holes outside food prep area

which leaves c- it is not a legal requirement to prevent grease and oil from going down a drain-but it would definitely be seen as 'best practice'- i rest my case :biggrin: - please see attached doc from water uk

CIEH-if there is a way to make a question difficult-they will find it!- you gotta love 'em!

Mike

Attached Files

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Dear All,

Is the question necessarily addressed to a kitchen ?

To whom does the "best" refer ? Course textbook ?

Subjectives everywhere, take yr pick :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS, Regardless, very nice attachment, thks Mike

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Dear All,

Is the question necessarily addressed to a kitchen ?

To whom does the "best" refer ? Course textbook ?

Subjectives everywhere, take yr pick :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS, Regardless, very nice attachment, thks Mike

I think you're correct- it could be any of them-that is the argument we have had with many of the questions for years!

IMO- 'best practice'= above and beyond normal requirements

after being involved with them for more years than i care to remember- I (sadly) know how they think-and how they structure the questions- and i'm not a betting man-but i will still put the 'family silver' on C!!!

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users