• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

Dear friends,

Would anyone please advice me how can i make policy manual,food safety and quality manual........

need a big favor

how can i make document which cover all elements of SQF ,i meant one document which show how company has implemented the SQF system

kind regard,
shraaa

stsqf

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

SS2010,

Here is a little explanation of what the purpose of these manuals are (imo):

• Policy Manual
    • Basically a summary of your systems - you don't need to include all the details of each of your programs but essentially just summarize what you have.
    • I attached the Table of Contents of a policy manual for reference.
    • You can think of this as a tool to show customers/auditors what you have in place in a 5-10 page document. Within the summaries of programs, you can reference document names/numbers as to where they can find the complete version of the program.
  • Food Safety Manual
    • HACCP Plan/Food Safety Plan that analyzes and is record of all hazards introduced in your manufacturing processes.
  • Quality Manual (Level 3 Only)
    • Same as HACCP Plan except for instead of analyzing/recognizing food safety hazards you are examining and recording the quality of your products.
Hope that helps you get a better idea of where to start! :smile:

Edited by stsqf, 21 February 2011 - 06:01 PM.

SS2010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Many thanks dear mentor,

Some more guidance needed

What should i cover in scope of certification,does it mean what category or why organization going for SQF??

mOREOVER WITH THE PREREQUISITE PROGRAM M BIT CONFUSE,

atm PREREQUISITE PLAN IS ALREADY IN PLACE AND AS A DOCUMENTATION WE HAVE GOT RELATED PROCEDURE TO THEM?? WILL IT BE SUFICE FOR THE PRP'S

I f you would advice me more on 5-10 page summarise document with reference of each element of SQF that would be much much appreciated

kind regards,
shra
SS2010,

Here is a little explanation of what the purpose of these manuals are (imo):

• Policy Manual
    • Basically a summary of your systems - you don't need to include all the details of each of your programs but essentially just summarize what you have.
    • I attached the Table of Contents of a policy manual for reference.
    • You can think of this as a tool to show customers/auditors what you have in place in a 5-10 page document. Within the summaries of programs, you can reference document names/numbers as to where they can find the complete version of the program.
  • Food Safety Manual
    • HACCP Plan/Food Safety Plan that analyzes and is record of all hazards introduced in your manufacturing processes.
  • Quality Manual (Level 3 Only)
    • Same as HACCP Plan except for instead of analyzing/recognizing food safety hazards you are examining and recording the quality of your products.
Hope that helps you get a better idea of where to start! :smile:

stsqf

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Under "Scope of Certification" in the Policy Manual I have the following:

• The scope of certification covers all food safety management activities that are under the control of (COMPANY NAME).
  • The products covered under the scope of certification may be found in Appendix A.

• (This is simply a printed product list that I had our Customer Service Manager generate in a report)
  • All products that are manufactured according to SQF standards should be in this list in order to be considered "under the scope of certification".
As for the Pre-requisite Programs, I am sure what you already have in place is sufficient but remember this Policy Manual is just a summary so all I did under this section of the Policy Manual was list out the Pre-requisite Programs (which are basically the requirements of Section 6 of the SQF Code) along with the Document Number so it is easy to locate.

I went through our existing policy manual and made it into a template for you to review and make your own as it fits for your company.

(NOTE: As they recommend in the SQF Guidance document, this policy manual should be done last after all programs are in place so you can summarize your entire food safety management system as it is written.)

Attached File  Example Policy Manual.doc   38.5KB   972 downloads (Note to Simon - I will add this to your File Library as well)

Thanked by 8 Members:

SS2010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

UR SIMPLY LEGEND

MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED,

THANKS FOR BEING SO KIND

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Under "Scope of Certification" in the Policy Manual I have the following:

• The scope of certification covers all food safety management activities that are under the control of (COMPANY NAME).
  • The products covered under the scope of certification may be found in Appendix A.

• (This is simply a printed product list that I had our Customer Service Manager generate in a report)
  • All products that are manufactured according to SQF standards should be in this list in order to be considered "under the scope of certification".
As for the Pre-requisite Programs, I am sure what you already have in place is sufficient but remember this Policy Manual is just a summary so all I did under this section of the Policy Manual was list out the Pre-requisite Programs (which are basically the requirements of Section 6 of the SQF Code) along with the Document Number so it is easy to locate.

I went through our existing policy manual and made it into a template for you to review and make your own as it fits for your company.

(NOTE: As they recommend in the SQF Guidance document, this policy manual should be done last after all programs are in place so you can summarize your entire food safety management system as it is written.)

Attached File  Example Policy Manual.doc   38.5KB   972 downloads (Note to Simon - I will add this to your File Library as well)

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:13 AM

UR SIMPLY LEGEND

MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED,

You could also align your procedures with the standard as per the attached sample for ease of implementation.

Attached File  QM 4.1.3 Food Safety Quality Management System.pdf   230.19KB   1065 downloads
http://www.ifsqn.com...urers-p-99.html

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 4 Members:

SS2010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

Thanks a lot tony,:clap:

Many thanks!

kind regards,
SS

Larry007

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Dear friends,

Would anyone please advice me how can i make policy manual,food safety and quality manual........

need a big favor

how can i make document which cover all elements of SQF ,i meant one document which show how company has implemented the SQF system

kind regard,
shraaa

Shraa,

In the guidance document provided on the SQF web site. There is a specific quote regarding manual structure:

"There is NO prescribed format or organization prescribed by the standard on how manuals are to be constructed. SQF auditor is to VERiFY CONTENT, NOT FORMAT. Format should be determine by company, whichever format is most convenient for them." (emphisis mine)

For me the easisest way to do that was to organize everthing into one manual which I call the "Quality Manual" to make it simple for the employees. Then I used the code sections as the document break down. So you have a structure that looks like this, where the blue text is my actual documents.

6.4 Calibration of Equipment
6.4.1 Calibration Methods
6.4.1.1-3 QM Calibration System & Procedure
6.4.1.1-3 QM SP Calibration System & Procedure

6.4.2 Calibration Standards

6.4.3 Calibration Schedule
6.4.4 Records

6.4.4 VER Monitoring Equipment Verification

6.4.4.1 QM Check Weigher Challenge Procedure

6.4.4.1 QM SP Check Weigher Challenge Procedure

6.4.4.1 WI Checkweigher Challenge Work Instruction

6.9.2.2 QM Metal Detector Challenge Procedure
6.9.2.2 QM SP Metal Detector Challenge Procedure
6.9.2.2 WI Metal Detector Challenge Work Instruction

Where I had documents in place already I coded them with the SQF section that was applicable and then added them in to the new SQF index. Hence the various documents listed in blue under records.

I have found that this is the easiest way to integrate existing documetns into the new system , while ensuring that any "missing documents" are created to complete the SQF upgrade and maintain sipmlicity of use for floor personnel.

Hope this helps along with everybody elses comments.

Larry

Thanked by 4 Members:

SS2010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:26 AM

Thanks a lot larry,

My fundamental on documentation of the SQF system is very clear now,
much appreciated.
Shraa,

In the guidance document provided on the SQF web site. There is a specific quote regarding manual structure:

"There is NO prescribed format or organization prescribed by the standard on how manuals are to be constructed. SQF auditor is to VERiFY CONTENT, NOT FORMAT. Format should be determine by company, whichever format is most convenient for them." (emphisis mine)

For me the easisest way to do that was to organize everthing into one manual which I call the "Quality Manual" to make it simple for the employees. Then I used the code sections as the document break down. So you have a structure that looks like this, where the blue text is my actual documents.

6.4 Calibration of Equipment
6.4.1 Calibration Methods

6.4.2 Calibration Standards

6.4.3 Calibration Schedule
6.4.4 Records

6.4.4 VER Monitoring Equipment Verification

6.4.4.1 QM Check Weigher Challenge Procedure

6.4.4.1 QM SP Check Weigher Challenge Procedure

6.4.4.1 WI Checkweigher Challenge Work Instruction

6.9.2.2 QM Metal Detector Challenge Procedure
6.9.2.2 QM SP Metal Detector Challenge Procedure
6.9.2.2 WI Metal Detector Challenge Work Instruction

Where I had documents in place already I coded them with the SQF section that was applicable and then added them in to the new SQF index. Hence the various documents listed in blue under records.

I have found that this is the easiest way to integrate existing documetns into the new system , while ensuring that any "missing documents" are created to complete the SQF upgrade and maintain sipmlicity of use for floor personnel.

Hope this helps along with everybody elses comments.

Larry

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

You all gave such great responses, there is no need for mine! :oops:

Just thought I'd say... :biggrin:

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Labucknall

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks a million, I'm new to this site and new to my job to get a sausage plant ready for certification and again thank you.

Loika

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

:welcome: Labucknall

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

I know I'm late to the party here, but thank you all for providing such great examples!  I am literally writing an entire food safety program from scratch with the goal of getting our steam rolled oats facility SQF certified...and doing it all by myself (our company has a total of 4 employees, including the owner).  To say that it's a daunting task is a gross understatement...but your help with how to organize things is going to help me get off to a great start - thanks!!

Brian

charityrp1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

I know I'm late to the party here, but thank you all for providing such great examples!  I am literally writing an entire food safety program from scratch with the goal of getting our steam rolled oats facility SQF certified...and doing it all by myself (our company has a total of 4 employees, including the owner).  To say that it's a daunting task is a gross understatement...but your help with how to organize things is going to help me get off to a great start - thanks!!

Brian

I see this post is a few years old but I am currently facing the same challenge. My company is food contact packaging and employs around 80 so my task is a bit different but any advice you have I would be interested to hear! Thanks I hope everything turned out well for you!

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thanks charityrp1!  It's been a long process, but I've almost completed everything we need (we've had numerous roadblocks and speed bumps along the way that have prevented us from being able to start up...long story...) - my best advice is to go through the Guidance Documents, they are a huge help!  Good luck!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Melani33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:49 AM

Can someone please upload their quality manual?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:01 PM

Can someone please upload their quality manual?

No one is going to upload their quality manual.  What in particular do you need help with?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Melani33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:37 PM

No one is going to upload their quality manual. What in particular do you need help with?

Melani33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

No one is going to upload their quality manual. What in particular do you need help with?

Melani33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

I want the scope of the quality manual. What topics to be covered in the manual etc.

Melani33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

I want the scope of the quality manual. What topics to be covered in the manual etc.

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

Hi Melani33, 

Have you downloaded the SQF standard?  The scope is in there!

This thread is quite dated, and the new standards will cover slightly more items.  

Do you already have SQF food safety?  And you are querying how to add quality?  If so, they shouldn't be separate documents.  Quality is blended into the food safety plan. 

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users