• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should Processing Aids be Included in the HACCP Plan?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Sherrie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

Does anyone have advice on the use of processing aids? Do you include them in your HACCP plan and Hazard Analysis? It seems to me that the obvious answer would be yes, processing aids have to be included in a hazard analysis. However, if the aid dissipates and leaves no residue after a few hours, is it necessary?

Sherrie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

After rereading, my question is if it's necessary to include the processing aid in the hazard analysis, not if the aid itself necessary. :doh:

SriramB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand
  • Interests:SF, Graphic novels, SUFI Music

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

my question is if it's necessary to include the processing aid in the hazard analysis,

Hi Sherrie,

Commend you on a very lateral thought !:smile:

1.The addition step would part of the process flow, so one would srutinise it.

2. Plus, the aid addition is either fulfilling control of a hazrad or contributing to the reduction of the hazard where other controls are effective, so the actual process of addition (qty of aid, time of addition, effectiveness of mixing) etc would all become relevant.

3. finally, as this addition is going into the product, the chance of the 'processing aid' becoming contaminated or wrongly used (e.g expired) would also contribute to the risks to the product.

I may be missing more interactions, but you get the gist and so I feel you would include processing aids as well as the process step in your HA.

Cheers,
SriramB

SriramB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

my question is if it's necessary to include the processing aid in the hazard analysis,

Hi Sherrie,

2. Plus, the aid addition is either fulfilling control of a hazrad or contributing to the reduction of the hazard where other controls are effective, so the actual process of addition (qty of aid, time of addition, effectiveness of mixing) etc would all become relevant.

3. finally, as this addition is going into the product, the chance of the 'processing aid' becoming contaminated or wrongly used (e.g expired) would also contribute to the risks to the product.

I may be missing more interactions, but you get the gist and so I feel you would include processing aids as well as the process step in your HA.

Cheers,
SriramB

SriramB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:34 AM

Hi Sherrie,

Cheers,
SriramB

SriramB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:36 AM

Sorry ...dont know how I managed to reply in triplicate 'Must be my conditioned bureacratic pavlonian response..):whistle:

Beate Feistner

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hello,
a short answer for your question. YES, you have to take into account all processing aids. Don't forget processing aids like steam or compressed air. E.g.: compressed air in uncontrolled quality (humidity, oil and dust) can have a negative effect to your product.
Best wishes from Europe
beate59075

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

I would say "yes" (which was all I was going to post but then I thought I'd suggest why). I don't think any processing aid is completely absent after x hours. There is still a small risk it could remain, albeit in small quantities and because of that IMO you should consider hazards from it.

YFoodSafety

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Dear Sherrie
Yes, you should include any processing aids in yr HACCP plan and processing flow diagram as these are componants of your work processing facilities and can affect the product quality or safety. For Ex.: is the temp. of a meat production hall should included in the HACCP plan?
Best regards,
Youssef

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Agreed: processing aids should be part of the HACCP risk assessment tool.

Consider their potential risks in bio/micro, chemical and physical.

And for food processing aids, determine if there an allergen contamination/cross contamination risk.

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

MMMasango

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

As most processing aids disperse during processing, they do not have a significant impact in the end product. In this case therefore, they are not to be a pre-requisite requirement in the in HACCP system. However, if the processing aids form part and parcel of the end product, then they may be mentioned and monitored throughout the HACCP system. MMMasango - Specifications and Quality Technologist and Member of the Nutrition Society. UK

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users