• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:24 AM

Hi,

I am currently reviewing the efficacy of ozone water to sanitize fresh produce used in our production. I have back read all ozone topics in the forum already.

We currently use chlorine (<100ppm) to sanitize fruits and vegetables prior to preparation. An experiment was conducted to check the microbial reduction of both chlorine and ozone water as sanitizers for F&V. Results of the experiment showed that there is no significant difference on the microbial reduction as both yielded 99.4 - 99.8% reduction for Coliform, Enterobacteria and APC.

It is not necessary that we change the current procedure, however, if there are more effective, efficient and modern ways, then we're willing to look into it.

While conducting research, there were several positive and negative references about the use of ozone water as sanitizer. For one, FDA already acknowledges its use as methods to reduce / eliminate pathogens from produce and fresh cut produce. But also it listed some limitations such as toxicity to humans and corrosion to equipment, which is also a limitation of chlorine.

Anyone here who's using ozone water to sanitize fresh produce or even sanitize food contact surfaces and equipment? I need some more data and a lots of convincing (?) Posted Image

By the way, we use fresh produce as part of RTE meals and cooked meals.

Thanks,

Majoy

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hi Majoy,

Twinoxide is the way to go. http://www.twinoxide.com/

You can contact them for more information regarding F&V wash. TwinOxide 3% solution does not contain free chlorine. The active biocidal substance is the chlorine dioxide molecule, at least 10 tiomes more powerful than chlorine and chlorine type disinfectants.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Ajay

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

YFoodSafety

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi Majoy
I think you should put in consideration not only the pathogen limitation but also the effect of ozone water on the quality of treated products regarding the same effects of chlorine.
For more information about Fresh Fruits Vegetables Ozone Applications see this website:

http://www.appliedoz...vegetables.html

Best wishes,
Youssef

shayaree

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Does OZONE treatment also help in reduction of pesticide content of F&V???

Thanks,
Shayaree

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users