• 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hia
just need some advice again!!!!
im on section 4.2 of BRC, Im guessing I need to classify the allergens into 3/4 categories eg nuts, would be in group 1, which we as a site we will not have...does anyone have any info on their classifications...
also the suppliers SAQ, I will incorpate a section on allergens and with the info they give then carry out a risk assessment and implement controls...am i on right track...any help much appreciated!! :thumbup:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

just need some advice again!!!!

Hi Suemal,
did you read our SDF allergen thread ?

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

Hi Suemal,
did you read our SDF allergen thread ?

thanks, info looks good, will sift my way through....cheers :spoton:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

I did have a reference document, will try and dig it out for you.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

Dear Suemal,

The new EU laws require us to label the following 12 groups of allergens:

Cereals containing gluten (i.e. wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut or their hybridised strains).
Crustaceans (e.g. crab, lobster, crayfish, shrimp, prawn).
Eggs.
Milk (including lactose).
Fish.
Peanuts.
Soybeans.
Tree nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecans, Brazils, pistachios, and macadamia/Queensland nuts).
Celery and celeriac.
Mustard.
Sesame seeds.
Sulphites at concentrations of over ten parts per million.

Whilst clause 4.2 is not talking about labelling requirements I would recommend that you consider all these allergens when carrying out your risk assessment.

You are right about asking your suppliers about allergens :thumbup: Again the minimum would be the above list.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

:bug:

Edited by yorkshire, 17 November 2005 - 03:38 PM.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

:bug: sorry

Edited by yorkshire, 17 November 2005 - 04:51 PM.

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:18 PM

Dear Suemal,

The new EU laws require us to label the following 12 groups of allergens:

Cereals containing gluten (i.e. wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut or their hybridised strains).
Crustaceans (e.g. crab, lobster, crayfish, shrimp, prawn).
Eggs.
Milk (including lactose).
Fish.
Peanuts.
Soybeans.
Tree nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecans, Brazils, pistachios, and macadamia/Queensland nuts).
Celery and celeriac.
Mustard.
Sesame seeds.
Sulphites at concentrations of over ten parts per million.

Whilst clause 4.2 is not talking about labelling requirements I would recommend that you consider all these allergens when carrying out your risk assessment.

You are right about asking your suppliers about allergens :thumbup: Again the minimum would be the above list.

Thanks, am I right in thinking that the risks from Gluten are far less than nuts, or would you classify them all the same in the severity rating??
This is the first time ive dealt with allergens, hence my ignorance :helpplease:

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks, am I right in thinking that the risks from Gluten are far less than nuts, or would you classify them all the same in the severity rating??

That sounds like a good idea.

If you can classify them into risk then this could be used in your HACCP study.

I would say that Nuts/Peanuts/Sesame (possible death) are the highest risk and something like gluten ( discomfort) would be lower but do a bit of research to back up your study.

This is the first time ive dealt with allergens, hence my ignorance

I think we're all pretty new to this.

That sounds like a good idea.

If you can classify them into risk then this could be used in your HACCP study.

I would say that Nuts/Peanuts/Sesame (possible death) are the highest risk and something like gluten ( discomfort) would be lower but do a bit of research to back up your study.

This is the first time ive dealt with allergens, hence my ignorance

I think we're all pretty new to this.

JaneOwen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:12 AM

Hi All

The voluntary guidance produced by the Food Standards Agency contains some brief information on prevalence of allergies and effect of the allergen (relating only to the 12 in the new legislation) which might be helpful.
http://www.food.gov....lguidance05.pdf
The information I refer to starts mainly on page 23 of the document, for those who don't want to wade through looking for it ;-)

Kind regards,
Jane

Kind regards,
Jane Owen
Vital Product Solutions
Food Standards and Trading Law Advice

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

Thanks Jane,

It's the reference document I've been searching for. For the very lazy I've reattached it with just the information on the allergens.

Regards,
Simon

Attached File  allergens.pdf   170.31KB   154 downloads

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:22 AM

For the very lazy I've reattached it with just the information on the allergens.

Thanks for this info Simon.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

Franco,

What is "Wheat flour" in Italian?
Would "farino di grano tenero tipo 2" be read as wheat flour?
I'm just a bit worried about one of our ingredients lists.

Cheers :beer:

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Jane,

It's the reference document I've been searching for. For the very lazy I've reattached it with just the information on the allergens.

Regards,
Simon

Attached File  allergens.pdf   170.31KB   154 downloads

Thanks Simon & Jane :thumbup:

JaneOwen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

Always glad to share guidance notes :thumbup: - nice to know I'm not the only one wading through them sometimes :lol:

What is "Wheat flour" in Italian?
Would "farino di grano tenero tipo 2" be read as wheat flour?

Yup, farina di grano is wheat flour - not sure what the other bits refer to though :-)

Kind regards,
Jane Owen
Vital Product Solutions
Food Standards and Trading Law Advice

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

Always glad to share guidance notes :thumbup: - nice to know I'm not the only one wading through them sometimes :lol:
Yup, farina di grano is wheat flour - not sure what the other bits refer to though :-)

Grano tenero is soft wheat and used for bread, grano duro is hard wheat and used for spaghetti.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Jane and Franco,

I will soon be adding Italian to my CV :smarty:

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:23 PM

There have been a spate of recalls recently relating to allergens. See below:

Cadbury

Iceland

Ryvita

Sainsbury

Sainsbury 2

Waitrose

Undoubtly due to the new packaging regs

Edited by yorkshire, 05 December 2005 - 01:24 PM.

jea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hi All

The voluntary guidance produced by the Food Standards Agency contains some brief information on prevalence of allergies and effect of the allergen (relating only to the 12 in the new legislation) which might be helpful.
http://www.food.gov....lguidance05.pdf
The information I refer to starts mainly on page 23 of the document, for those who don't want to wade through looking for it ;-)

Kind regards,
Jane

This is my first visit to the site and am I glad I have found it.

Just in the process of reviewing HACCP by product with a view for our impending BRC (EFSIS) audit in May. Came across the site by chance was looking for some legislation. This allergens info is a must have. Thanks again
jea :clap:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

This is my first visit to the site and am I glad I have found it.

Just in the process of reviewing HACCP by product with a view for our impending BRC (EFSIS) audit in May. Came across the site by chance was looking for some legislation. This allergens info is a must have. Thanks again
jea :clap:

Hello Jea, welcome to the forums. Feel free to join in any of the discussions or ask a question. Good luck with your BRC (EFSIS) audit in May and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Simon

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

Dear all:

I have a friend who is working in a bakery plant and she asked me this question.

“Most of my ingredients are considered allergenic e.g. wheat flour, skimmed milk powder, pasteurised liquid egg, soya lecithin, sesame seeds, almond etc. So, am I needed to list down all of them in the label? If I do so, do you think that people will dare to buy my product?

Kindly comment on it. Thank you.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

I have a friend who is working in a bakery plant and she asked me this question.

“Most of my ingredients are considered allergenic e.g. wheat flour, skimmed milk powder, pasteurised liquid egg, soya lecithin, sesame seeds, almond etc. So, am I needed to list down all of them in the label? If I do so, do you think that people will dare to buy my product?

It seems a little daft if all (most of) the ingredients are allergens to relist them again as allergens, especially as you would expect anyone with an alergen would check ingredients as a matter of course. If they don't bother to check ingredients would they bother to check allergens. :doh:

I'm in the UK and I just checked three bread type products I have in home stock.

1. a loaf of bread
2. a packet of fajitas
3. a packet of naan breads

They all have a title for ingredients and one for allergens and there is quite a bit of duplication.

In my opinion it's good practice to list them all; not sure if it is a legal requirement.

I dared to buy all three products. :whistle:

Regards,
Simon

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

It seems a little daft if all (most of) the ingredients are allergens to relist them again as allergens, especially as you would expect anyone with an alergen would check ingredients as a matter of course. If they don't bother to check ingredients would they bother to check allergens. :doh:

I'm in the UK and I just checked three bread type products I have in home stock.

1. a loaf of bread
2. a packet of fajitas
3. a packet of naan breads

They all have a title for ingredients and one for allergens and there is quite a bit of duplication.

In my opinion it's good practice to list them all; not sure if it is a legal requirement.

I dared to buy all three products. :whistle:

Regards,
Simon

Simon....we bottle milk and our label says under allergens "Contains Milk"

we don't have an ingredients list though! :wacko:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Simon....we bottle milk and our label says under allergens "Contains Milk"

we don't have an ingredients list though! :wacko:

What is the legal requirement for listing ingredients and allergens in EU Caz?

maataoui amine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

hi all,
This is my first time in this forum, very helpful indeed! thank you all.
Tomatoes, beans, peppers, melon and courgettes are our main products and i was wondering at what level the allergens can be an issue for us.

Many thanks

Amine

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users