Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

I am the food safety and quality control coordinator in a potato pack house, we do not process any potatoes, only wash and package. I am wondering if there is anyone that can help me out as far as micro testing goes. Is it needed for potatoes? Also what kind of water testing should I look at? I'm thinking that the flume and wash water should at a minimum be tested if nothing else.

Thank you! :biggrin:

ozgurdemirkiran

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

You have not to do micro testing on patatoes in my opinion. Because you are only washing and this means that you are cleaning only stone, dust..ect.. therefore micro activity will be on patatoes.. ( if you are not using any additives in water)..
But you should have to do micro testing on water that you use for washing and machines in process. ( you have to find water standard)..

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

I am the food safety and quality control coordinator in a potato pack house, we do not process any potatoes, only wash and package. I am wondering if there is anyone that can help me out as far as micro testing goes. Is it needed for potatoes? Also what kind of water testing should I look at? I'm thinking that the flume and wash water should at a minimum be tested if nothing else.

Dear kbjorn,

The necessity, or not, may depend on what you are doing with the packed product.
I think many people would classify washing/packaging as processing. :smile:

Not personally familiar with potatoes' safety record but i daresay it's pretty good inasmuch as normally heat processed again. :smile:
Some micro.textbooks consider that micro.specs are unhelpful / un-necessary for raw unprocessed vegetables not destined for direct consumption however if you would like an idea of the possible micro.contaminants (and others) this thread / attachments may be of interest -
http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__52693

Wash water condition is frequently a "critical" item in vegetable "field to fork" flow diagrams often with respect to maintenance of hypochlorite (or equivalent) levels where appropriate. Not sure whether you are using such add-ins, the primary objective is to minimise any chances of micro. cross contamination within the product flow stream.

I recall there are numerous (free) quality-related documents issued by vegetable growing/processing organisations in Canada and I expect USA also for specific products. Try googling maybe.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

you have to do first sorting the potatoes that may be contaminated cause cross contamination. u have to sorted out the good one and bad one . than off course u need some micro testing for water that u r going to wash the potatoes. and lastly the packaging must aseptic or vacuum that will help to retain the quality of potatoes for the longer period of time .

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users