• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is gluten network weakened after freezing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Dear All

i m working on very thin pastry sheets that have to sale out in frozen state .
the problem is when take out the pastry sheets from the blast freezer and thawing for 1 to 2 hours , the strength become weak and it easily tear off . and u can say the sheets become stale very fragile .
the process is
first we make batter in which we add different emulsifier and humactant .
and this batter run on hot rotating drum gives thin pastry sheet slightly cooked with the thickenss ( 0.6 mm sheets )
my question is how we can improve the strength of gluten which we must need the elasticity and moist after blast freezing that give the consumer foldability and strecthibility.

need all your valuable feed back
thanks

regards
saqib

Martinblue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Hi saqibfst,

If the freezing process is slow, gluten structure may be effected due to the formation of tiny ice crystals, best would be to validate you blast freezing operation.
Secondly there might be issue with mixing if batter is under mixed.

Thanks

martinblue

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi Martinblue
thanks for your valuable feedback
Actually i am first time working on that product . can you plz tell me that how long should it take to blast freeze and what temperature must be for the process to become hard and to avoid this problem which i m facing .
secondly i give the mixing time maximum 25 minutes with high speed 900 rpm , should i give more time for mixing . and the water temperature is 4 degree celsius.

Martin i run around 35 trials , initially i faced the lots of problem like bubbles on the sheet some , hard sheet than with the passage of time we control the issues like that but last we facing the problem after blast freezing .
i need the specific solution for this .

thanks
saqib

Hi saqibfst,

If the freezing process is slow, gluten structure may be effected due to the formation of tiny ice crystals, best would be to validate you blast freezing operation.
Secondly there might be issue with mixing if batter is under mixed.

Thanks

martinblue

Martinblue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hi Saqibfst,

I am not bakery expert but for blast freezing quicker the freezing is better the results would be for post defrosted quality. There may be any breakdown in freezing chain.. As mentioned earlier gluten development is directly related to mixing process-under mixed-will not have enough gluten and over mixing could damage gluten.- You have to validate by having different mixing times as it would be effected by recipe.
You can also try be adding more eggs or any gums e.g xanthan gum(subject to your recipe) for better holding attributes.

Thanks
Martinblue

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

thanks Martin
for this guidance

regards
saqibfst

Hi Saqibfst,

I am not bakery expert but for blast freezing quicker the freezing is better the results would be for post defrosted quality. There may be any breakdown in freezing chain.. As mentioned earlier gluten development is directly related to mixing process-under mixed-will not have enough gluten and over mixing could damage gluten.- You have to validate by having different mixing times as it would be effected by recipe.
You can also try be adding more eggs or any gums e.g xanthan gum(subject to your recipe) for better holding attributes.

Thanks
Martinblue

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users