• Quick Navigation
Photo

IFS, CODEX and pre-requisites

Share this

Best Answer , 23 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

Hello everyone

I work in an industry that produce meat products and ready to eat food. Now we are focused in obtaining IFS certification.

The first step for us is to prepare the HACCP plan based on the CODEX, but here in Spain we have a self legislation related to pre-requisites and HACCP.

IFS remark that the codex establish the HACCP. But when you read the 1-1969 (last version) that is the file of the codex that is related about topic, I found that the 1-1969 is very lax and does not explain any procedure or pre-requiste.

The Spanish legislation establish eight compulsary pre-requisites which are:

- Plan of water control.

- Plan of traceability

- Plan of providers control.

- Plan of pests controls

- Plan of cleaning and desinfection.

- Plan of workers trainning.

- Plan of temperature control

- Plan of allergen control

These pre-requisites are more specific and more detailed for HACCP.

So my question is: May someone tell me wich plans or pre-requisites are compulsary or recommended for IFS? 

Hi bcarballo,

haven't checked if if6 is latest rev (I'm not a user) but it appears to have no specific mention of prerequisites. It does state  -

The basis of the company’s food safety control system shall be a fully implemented, systematic and
comprehensive HACCP system, based upon the Codex Alimentarius principles. It shall take into
account any legal requirements of the production and destination countries which may go beyond such
principles.
The HACCP system shall be implemented at each production site.

Codex Hygiene (4th ed,2009) states -

GUIDELINES FOR THE APPLICATION OF THE HACCP SYSTEM

INTRODUCTION
Prior to application of HACCP to any sector of the food chain, that sector should have in  place  prerequisite  programmes  such  as  good  hygienic  practices  according  to  the Recommended International Code of Practice – General Principles of food hygiene, the appropriate Codex Codes of practice, and appropriate food safety requirements. These prerequisite  programmes  to  HACCP,  including  training,  should  be  well  established, fully  operational  and  verified  in  order  to  facilitate  the  successful  application  and implementation of the HACCP system.

The IFS6 auditor guide apparently interprets 2.2.1.1 above as [see] -

Regulation 852/2004 Article 5 No. 1 - 3

The above referred Art./Nos. do not seem to specifically mention Codex or prerequisites (!?) although main body of reference mentions  "The HACCP requirements should take account of the principles contained in the Codex Alimentarius.."

INTRODUCTION
Prior to application of HACCP to any sector of the food chain, that sector should have in  place  prerequisite  programmes  such  as  good  hygienic  practices  according  to  the Recommended International Code of Practice – General Principles of food hygiene, the appropriate Codex Codes of practice, and appropriate food safety requirements. These prerequisite  programmes  to  HACCP,  including  training,  should  be  well  established, fully  operational  and  verified  in  order  to  facilitate  the  successful  application  and implementation of the HACCP system.

So presumably you have to cover the hygiene programs in Codex COPs above + those in Spanish Regs if not already included.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

bcarballo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hello everyone

I work in an industry that produce meat products and ready to eat food. Now we are focused in obtaining IFS certification.

The first step for us is to prepare the HACCP plan based on the CODEX, but here in Spain we have a self legislation related to pre-requisites and HACCP.

IFS remark that the codex establish the HACCP. But when you read the 1-1969 (last version) that is the file of the codex that is related about topic, I found that the 1-1969 is very lax and does not explain any procedure or pre-requiste.

- Plan of water control.

- Plan of traceability

- Plan of pests controls

So my question is: May someone tell me wich plans or pre-requisites are compulsary or recommended for IFS? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:53 AM   Best Answer

Hello everyone

- Plan of water control.

- Plan of traceability

- Plan of pests controls

Hi bcarballo,

haven't checked if if6 is latest rev (I'm not a user) but it appears to have no specific mention of prerequisites. It does state  -

The basis of the company’s food safety control system shall be a fully implemented, systematic and
comprehensive HACCP system, based upon the Codex Alimentarius principles. It shall take into
account any legal requirements of the production and destination countries which may go beyond such
principles.
The HACCP system shall be implemented at each production site.

INTRODUCTION

The IFS6 auditor guide apparently interprets 2.2.1.1 above as [see] -

Regulation 852/2004 Article 5 No. 1 - 3

The above referred Art./Nos. do not seem to specifically mention Codex or prerequisites (!?) although main body of reference mentions  "The HACCP requirements should take account of the principles contained in the Codex Alimentarius.."

INTRODUCTION

So presumably you have to cover the hygiene programs in Codex COPs above + those in Spanish Regs if not already included.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users