Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 5 thanks

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there can guide me on the best way for drying food contact brushes.

Blue hand brushes are used to clean down work surfaces and other food contact equipment.

In terms of manufacturing we blend dried ingredients - mainly powders.

After washing the brushes - what is the best way to dry them other than air drying?

Thanks

Yas

#2 peeviewonder

peeviewonder

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

At my plant (cheese) we air dry the brushes. After use, they are scrubbed in the caustic, rinsed off, dipped in sanitizer, and hung up on dedicated racks. I have heard from other cheesemakers that they actually autoclave their brushes (those brushes are being used on washed rind cheeses and they contact the product). This cheesemaker was led to do this as they found that they had listeria on their brushes and they were spreading it all over their facility (scary). They lost an entire year of inventory. I am curious to hear what other people do, as I worry that we are not doing enough at my plant.

#3 CMHeywood

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 269 posts
  • 60 thanks

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Was the cheesemaker with Listeria on their brushes sanitizing them after use?  If not, then any microbio they picked up can still be there.

Blowing with air only risks getting other contamination on the brushes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users