• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

FSVP - I am trying to figure out who the importer is?

FSVP-FSMA

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 staci mccarvey

staci mccarvey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

I am trying to figure out who the importer is. We use a broker that receives the ingredients from overseas to a warehouse in the US and then they are transported to our establishment. The owner insists that we are not the importer, the broker is. Can anyone please tell me where this is stated? Thanks!

#2 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Principal
  • 635 posts
  • 289 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

My best once-sentence description of who the importer is under FSVP is that the person introducing the ingredient to the public via sale or processing is responsible for demonstrating the requirements of FSVP.

Someone who is organizing a sale or just bringing in containers of product that are shipping directly to your plant and not to a bulk warehouse where they are further repackaged or processed is not responsible for evaluating the food safety risk of that ingredient because they are not going to introduce it to the public, you are.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

#3 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 116 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:We specialize in helping food, logistic & packaging companies to develop & implement SQF, GFCP & IFS systems in the USA, Costa Rica, Panama and the Caribbean Islands.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

Broker.

Warm regards,

Glenn Oster

SQF Registered Consultant - Certified for 29 FSC's

Serving clients in: USA, Costa Rica, Panama & Caribbean Islands

International Toll-Free: 800-546-1452

http://www.linkedin.com/in/getgoc

www.GlennOsterConsulting.com

#4 mec862

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hi Staci,

The importer would be the owner of the imported goods or Consignee at the time of entry in the U.S. This can be either the customer (who purchased the imported food) or a broker (who will sell the imported food to the customer). There are some cases where some foreign suppliers have locations within the U.S. and would receive the imported goods then sell it to the customer. In this case, that would make the foreign supplier the importer on record.

I hope this helps. 

#5 Parkz58

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

See, this is why it's so confusing.  Of the last three respondents to this blog before me, two say one thing and the other says another thing.

So, which is it, and who can provide proof of what you are saying?

#6 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 12,815 posts
  • 3377 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

See, this is why it's so confusing.  Of the last three respondents to this blog before me, two say one thing and the other says another thing.

Hi Parkz,

The answer appears to be an objective of Chapter 8 of the FSVP training manual.

Unfortunately I found the text unintelligible.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

#7 Parkz58

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

My point exactly, Charles.C - I have taken the FSMA PCQI course, and I couldn't even get a straight answer out of the instructors.  They just answered, "It depends on the situation".  Well...that was very helpful.

I sure hope the FDA works on clarifying this, and soon...otherwise, there are going to be a LOT of problems down the road.

#8 mec862

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi Parkz58,

Would these help?

https://www.joc.com/...s_20010108.html

http://www.logicalma...-and-consignee/

#9 Parkz58

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Thanks mec862...but I don't think that helps much, because I don't think the FDA follows the same definitions.

#10 Ryan M.

Ryan M.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 417 posts
  • 176 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

It is the importer of the food.  The importer is the entity that takes ownership of the food once it reaches US borders.

In your example, it would be the broker.  The company purchasing the materials from the broker and using them does not have any requirements as far as FSVP is concerned.

https://www.fda.gov/...A/ucm361902.htm

• What is an FSVP? It is a program that importers covered by the rule must have in place to verify that their foreign suppliers are producing food in a manner that provides the same level of public health protection as the preventive controls or produce safety regulations, as appropriate, and to ensure that the supplier’s food is not adulterated and is not misbranded with respect to allergen labeling.
  • Importers are responsible for actions that include (and are explained further below):
    • Determining known or reasonably foreseeable hazards with each food
    • Evaluating the risk posed by a food, based on the hazard analysis, and the foreign supplier’s performance
    • Using that evaluation of the risk posed by an imported food and the supplier’s performance to approve suppliers and determine appropriate supplier verification activities
    • Conducting supplier verification activities
    • Conducting corrective actions

#11 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Principal
  • 635 posts
  • 289 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Well since the topic is here, I'll just leave some resources for anyone who ends up here in the future.

FDA flowchart to determine if you're required to comply with the rule: https://www.fda.gov/...A/UCM472461.pdf

Definition of "importer" under the rule (21 CFR 1.500)):

Importer means the U.S. owner or consignee of an article of food that is being offered for import into the United States. If there is no U.S. owner or consignee of an article of food at the time of U.S. entry, the importer is the U.S. agent or representative of the foreign owner or consignee at the time of entry, as confirmed in a signed statement of consent to serve as the importer under this subpart.

U.S. owner or consignee means the person in the United States who, at the time of U.S. entry, either owns the food, has purchased the food, or has agreed in writing to purchase the food.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users