TAWAN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:32 AM

:helpplease:

My first time posting on this, so it is very useful that I had from the forum.
I am QA(quality assurance), my company settled in TH (Thailand).
We do have ISO 9001:2000 and we have plan to certify BRC on this year.

As note earlier, I feel not so clear about quantity verification to meet minimum legislation requirement (we supply our product to France, Germany, USA and Japan)

I do need your comment and Could you please tell me how to get the information easy ??

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

Can anyone help Tawan out please?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

Dear Tawan,

You really need to buy the following guidance which will explain this fully:

The Code of Practical Guidance for Packers & Importers is available from HMSO (ISBN 0 11 5129227).

I have also found some brief guidance as follows:

The Weights and Measures Act 1985
The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 1986.

General

Goods that are sold in packages by weight or measure can be packed either to minimum quantity or to average quantity. For minimum quantity each pack must contain at least the quantity marked on the pack (the nominal quantity). If you use equipment to make up the packs then the equipment must be tested and approved for trade use. You do not have to use equipment but if you estimate the quantity incorrectly you will have no defence.

For average quantity there are certain rules that must be followed - the Packers' Rules. To show compliance with these rules checks have to be carried out using suitable equipment and records of these checks kept.

The Packers' Rules

In a group of packages some packs may contain less than the marked quantity but the group must comply with the following rules:

(1) The actual contents of the group must on average be at least the nominal quantity.

(2) No more than 2.5% (1 in 40) of the group may be non-standard. A non-standard package is one that contains less than the nominal quantity minus an amount known as the tolerable negative error (T.N.E.). The T.N.E. varies depending on the nominal quantity and can be calculated using the table shown below.

(3) No package in the group may be inadequate. An inadequate package is one that contains less than the nominal quantity minus twice the T.N.E.

Checks

You should carry out checks on the contents of packages to ensure the above rules are being complied with. These checks can be on a sample from the group. The number you need to check depends on the number in the group and the accuracy of your packing process. Please ask if you need further advice.

Equipment

The equipment used to carry out the checks must be suitable. If you use weighing equipment, you can either use a scale which has been tested and approved for trade use or you can use other scales as long as they have a suitable scale division for the size of the packs and they are tested every day using stamped weights to ensure they are accurate. Please ask if you require advice on a particular piece of equipment.

Records

You must make records of the checks you have carried out. These records must show that you have complied with the rules. As a minimum you should record the product, the batch number, the date, the number of packs in the batch, the number checked and the results of the check. The records must be kept for 12 months.

Markings

You must mark the packs with:

(1) A statement of quantity. This statement must be in metric and the size of the marking is prescribed e.g. for a 500g pack the marking must be at least 4mm high.
(2) Your name and address. Alternatively you may give the name and address of the person who arranged for you to make up the packages.
You may mark the packs with the 'e' mark:

It must be at least 3mm high and appear in the same field of vision as the statement of quantity. The 'e' mark acts as a metrological passport for goods sold throughout the European Community. If you want to export goods with the 'e' mark, though, you may need to notify your local Trading Standards office first, so check with them before applying it.

Importers and Average Quantity

If you import goods from outside the EC you are responsible for ensuring that the packs comply with the Packers' Rules and that they are marked correctly. However you may obtain suitable documents from the packer instead of carrying out checks.

Nominal quantity (g or ml) Tolerable negative error

5 to 50 - 9% of nominal quantity
from 50 to 100 - 4.5g or ml
from 100 to 200 - 4.5% of nominal quantity
from 200 to 300 - 9g or ml
from 300 to 500 - 3% of nominal quantity
from 500 to 1,000 - 15g or ml
from 1,000 to 10,000 - 1.5% of nominal quantity
from 10,000 to 15,000 - 150g or ml
above 15,000 - 1% of nominal quantity

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:17 AM

Thank You Yorky. :beer:

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

TAWAN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:42 AM

:oops:
Dear Yorkshire,

Thank you so much for your kindness. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am in Thailand so I may can not find the book. Could you tell me more about how can I order the book (on Internet or Fax)??

Regards,
Tawan

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

Dear Tawan,

Amazon have this book in stock www.amazon.co.uk and they do international airmail delivery for £4.99 (I think ),

regards

Yorkshire

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users