yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

Dear All,

Section 4.13 of IFS version 4 requires us to have certain basic requirements with any contract transport company however it doesn't really go far enough!!

In contracts with 3rd party storage / transport comapnies should we be pushing the standards we work to in the factories?

I have just read a draft contract and nothing is stated about pest control, glass breakage, GMP, smoking, etc..

What do we expect from these contractors? Does anybody know of any food transport / storage industry standards?

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Hello Yorky,

We had some discussion on this subject a while ago; I'm not saying we shouldn't again, but I would suggest we refresh ourselves by reading the thread below first.

Possible Risk In Warehousing Packaging Materials

Let me know which book you want - or have you already got them all? :lol2:
Pick a book!

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

Section 4.13 of IFS version 4 requires us to have certain basic requirements with any contract transport company however it doesn't really go far enough!!

Hi Yorky, what does IFS say about contract storage and transport?

It has always been a concern and difficult to control, and the longer the supply line I suppose the more difficult to control. Imagine delivering a pallet of food contact packaging from Manchester in the UK to a suburb of Sydney in Australia - how many times would it change hands along the way? Many different vehicles and many different storage areas would be used. In this instance is it ever possible for the supplier to have complete control?

I've re-posted this article from the other thread on transport hygiene; it's well worth a read:

Transportation: The Squeaky Wheel of the Food Safety System

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

The article touched on a point that is of great concern to companies using third party hauliers even for relitavely local deliveries but warms the heart of many a logistics manager - namely backhauling.... how do we control what our hauliers are putting on vehicles before they come to us ?

At our company we have an addition to the contract which lists particular numbered trailers which are solely to be used for our products (composite cans), however to allow for busy periods and unforseen circumstances the haulier can use with permision a trailer normally used for food ingredients,this was seen as a good idea by the distribution manager until the day a trailer turned up that had just returned from dropping off a full load of bouillon powder, the smell was interesting to say the least, the pre-loading check by the despatch operators picked this up and the trailer was swapped with resulting delay to the customer.

This highlights the need to remember that hauliers and shipping lines are in the business of shifting units from A to B and it is up to the manufacturers of the goods being shipped to keep them on their toes.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

Follows the clauses on transport from IFS v4

4.13 Transport

4.13.1 Refrigerated transport shall be capable of maintaining product temperature within specification, under maximum load, whilst the product is stored on the vehicle.

4.13.2 Procedures shall, where appropriate, be in place of non compliance to specifications. These procedures shall ensure product safety, legality an quality as determined in specifications.

4.13.3 Procedures shall be in place for the receipt of the product, relevant checks and registrations are carried out.

4.13.4 Guidelines shall be drawn up for storage, labelling and delivering.

4.13.5 Where possible, the temperature of the transport vehicle shall be checked prior to loading, and the driver should have means of checking the temperature.

4.13.6 Companies with large vehicle stocks shall have a maintenance schedule for all transport vehicles (including their refrigeration units) defined.

4.13.7 Maintenance and cleaning interventions shall always be recorded and archived.

4.13.8 The drivers shall respect the organisations' hygiene rules.

4.13.9 The organisation shall have procedures to prevent cross-contamination during transport.

4.13.10 If an organisation hires a third-party transport service provider, all the above-mentioned requirements shall be clearly defined in the respective contract.

4.13.11 Where the material transported is susceptible to weather damage, vehicles shall be loaded and unloaded in covered bays so as to protect the material.

4.13.12 The organisation shall have a specification and carry out internal checks with regard to the transport of raw materials (including packaging), semi-processed and finished products.

4.13.13 The records of maintenance and cleaning interventions shall be analysed. When necessary, corrective actions shall be put in place.

4.13.14 Where appropriate, temperature sensor units should be installed which also record data during transport.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

In contracts with 3rd party storage / transport companies should we be pushing the standards we work to in the factories? I have just read a draft contract and nothing is stated about pest control, glass breakage, GMP, smoking, etc.

Hey Yorky how does this sound:

The BRC Global Standard - Food Transportation & Storage

I think pest control and glass breakage would be basic requirements of such a standard and you would expect smoking to be banned as a matter of course because of the fire risk.

Food safe transportation and storage are definitely areas that require further research and development as they play such a vital role in the food supply chain, and right now there remains a risk of unintended or indeed malicious contamination of food. No point in producing the stuff to exacting standards if it all goes to pot on the way to the customer.

It's not such a long time ago that food packaging factories were uncontrolled cesspools of grime - that is until we got ‘educated' by the foodies and the same education process needs to happen for transportation and storage. To be fair it has to a certain extent but I think we'd all agree more could and should be done.

Raising standards throughout the global food supply chain is worthy but undoubtedly would be very problematic. However, I'm sure some authoritative guidelines would be useful; so shall we write the T & S standard for the BRC? Or maybe for ourselves. :wtg:

An interesting case study.

Regards,
Simon

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

We have the same problem under BRC IoP.
I asked our purchaser to come up with some standards for our transport companies. We export packaging material that is packed in plastic bags than packed in cardboard boxes placed onto pallets and wrapped in stretch film all over the world.
Conclusion after contacting several companies, they do not have any formal standard.
We plan now to implement in our contracts four criteria that we already used when loading trucks.
 Trucks should be dry
 Odour free
 Sweep clean
 Closed cars
Inspection is done prior to loading by our warehouse people.

If anybody has better idea's, share them with us.

Have a nice weekend, Okido

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

OK the requirements we see at the moment are:

Pest control contract must be in place ( should we specify BPCA membership?)
Glass breakage procedure in place.
Smoking permitted only in designated areas, away from product ( or no smoking at all?)
Transport vehicles to be clean, dry, odour free and intact.

What about eating and drinking in the warehouse?
Storage of non compatible materials?
Training records for staff (how do we know they have been trained in the glass breakage procedure )?
Basic staff hygiene rules - e.g. keep doors closed when not in use?
Cleaning records for wagons?
Covered loading bays?
Should the warehouse be clean, intact, weather proof? Clean as you go?

Let's talk.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:18 AM

Pest control contract must be in place (should we specify BPCA membership?)

I agree and yes they should be BPCA or NPTA or relevant countries equivalent.

And shatterproof lighting.

Smoking permitted only in designated areas, away from product ( or no smoking at all?)

If there is an enclosed office or canteen within the warehouse IMO that would be OK.

Transport vehicles to be clean, dry, odour free and intact.

Yes and cleaning / maintenance records.

What about eating and drinking in the warehouse?

As smoking above.

Storage of non compatible materials?

Segregated storage areas based on risk assessment. Have a segregated area for the hygiene sensitive goods or the noxious chemicals whichever is easiest to do.

Training records for staff (how do we know they have been trained in the glass breakage procedure )?

Yes definitely.

Basic staff hygiene rules - e.g. keep doors closed when not in use?

Yes.

Covered loading bays?

Yes.

Should the warehouse be clean, intact, weather proof? Clean as you go?

All of the above.

I would add to the list stock control / rotation systems.

If a warehouse had the above in place it would provide me with confidence in their ability to handle hygiene sensitive goods safely. If the warehouse building is generally intact and in good condition then I don't think it would be too expensive to implement the above. Some disciplines and training with perhaps the biggest ongoing expense being the pest control contract.

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

I would add to the list stock control / rotation systems.

This is a good one, we need to make sure our goods are traceable!

And shatterproof lighting.

I'm not so sure on this. I wouldn't like to completely exclude a warehouse just because it doesn't have shatterproof bulbs. I would like to see something about a risk assessment to be carried out or maybe a commitment to change to shatterproof over a given time frame.

Any more thoughts anyone?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

Has anybody witnessed the standards and controls we have been discussing in an off site warehousing facility?

Regards,
Simon

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users