• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Macedonia
    Macedonia

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hy Everybody,

Can anyone provide information about specific temperatures in the core of the meat when preparing certain meat products in restaurants ? (example : Which core temperature is CCP in the restaurant production of the Tenderloin or Sirloin ?). We have several groups of meat in restaurants : Beef, pig, chicken etc. and numerous products.

PLS :uhm: :helpplease:

Thanks,
Dzole

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

Are you looking for the cooked product temperatures? ServSafe - a program developed by the National Restaurant Association in the U.S. recommends the following -

poultry whole or ground, or stuffed meats - 165F for 15 seconds
ground or injected beef or pork - 155F for 15 seconds
whole muscle cuts or roasts of beef, pork, or lamb - 145F for 15 sec

Check their web site for more information - http://www.servsafe.com/index.aspx
or go to the USDA web site - http://www.fsis.usda..._Food/index.asp

Hope that helped!

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

gkolevski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Macedonia
    Macedonia

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

thanks a lot, Cathy

Dzole

teddly

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

Injected Meat / Poultry

+74

15 sec

Egg / Omlette/ Fish

+70

15 sec

Meat/ Sea Food

+65

15 sec

Roast of meat

+66

1 Min

Edited by teddly, 28 October 2008 - 07:22 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

Dear Teddly,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

With thepossible exception of the first one, times all look very low for the temps given.

@cathy, yr fsis link does not seem to hv any times, very strange.

I remember a long thread on this already regarding safety of rare cooked steak, hamburgers etc, etc. For fully cooked the UK routinely uses 70degC / 2 min or equivalent and US usually considers this to be too strict. Depends what grade of Russian roulette you prefer. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jarve

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have attached a lethal rates guidance for Listeria and Clostridia if this helps, but lets not forget this is for manufactured products being made in a completely different manner to a resteraunt and to be handled differently after cooking.

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

Dear Jarve,

Thks for the data. To state the obvious, the temperatures are in degC.

I think, from memory of a previous forum thread, a basic element of contention internationally is the choice of bacterial target. Pathogenic E.coli may be involved here (and sometimes Salmonella also) but these are not considered appropriate in UK. Hence the "rare" American hamburger where I saw that one offering-restaurant includes the famous oyster warning "eat here at yr own risk". And they do !

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

HACCP Builder

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

There are different kill temps for different products. There is a rule of thumb that you can use for pork, beef, ratites, poultry and ground products...the temp guideline below also would be for stuffed products within each grouping.

- minimum requirement of 165 degrees F for 15 seconds

I hope this helps.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

In the UK, we tend to use Listeria monocytogenes as the target organism because the temperatures to kill that kill other vegetative organisms (but not spores). So as said previously, 70oC for 2 mins. Incidentally that is impractical IMO (most people won't hold a probe in a food for 2 mins to check it's been held for that) so aiming for 75oC for 26 secs or 80oC for 5 secs is probably more practicable.

Note this would not apply to "rare" steak (which can barely get warm in the middle).

I have to say I don't understand the French and US passion for rare burgers. I love a rare steak but rare minced beef mings IMO. :thumbdown:

SAFIZAK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Morocco
    Morocco

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi everyone, been quality manager for nearly 8 years and would like to capitalise in quality managment. So I appretiate anyone could provide me with good reference of quality schools in the UK so that I could prepare a quality auditor certificate. Thanks.:helpplease:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi everyone, been quality manager for nearly 8 years and would like to capitalise in quality managment. So I appretiate anyone could provide me with good reference of quality schools in the UK so that I could prepare a quality auditor certificate. Thanks.:helpplease:

:off_topic:

You're probably best off starting your own thread on this; it's a bit off topic!

Anyway, welcome to the board. First thing I would say is if you want to work as a Quality Auditor in the UK, there is to my knowledge no such thing as a "quality auditor certificate".

Second thing is to explain what a QA auditor is (sorry if I'm being patronising here but it might not be obvious). A QA auditor is shop floor based, ensuring compliance in a factory. Not generally great pay but if you've got something about you, there is a shortage of QA Managers and Technical Managers in the UK so with a bit of work you could get somewhere better. Note a QA auditor does not generally do a lot of auditing or where they do, it tends to be simple day to day auditing. For this job I would recommend Level 3 food safety in manufacturing and Level 3 HACCP. Even with little experience with those qualifications you will probably get a role in a factory somewhere as long as you have the right to work in the EU.

If you wanted a management role or a role auditing other companies then you would need level 4 food safety in manufacturing and level 4 HACCP also (for the auditing role particularly) you would need some kind of "lead auditor" course; ideally in something relevant (e.g. BRC or ISO22000) or you might get away with an internal auditing course.

For training location; in my opinion, Campden are the best but they're not cheap http://www.campden.co.uk/. Bear in mind that you will probably have to start (at least) at Level 2 and work up to Level 3 in each qualification; if you have no previous knowledge you might have to start at Level 1. Also Level 4 HACCP particularly will be very difficult unless you have a good amount of food experience. Lots of people fail that exam. Quick tip though is if you do need to do Level 1 and 2, you might be able to find a cheaper, local course (or even an online one). I'd say if costs or time are tight, save your money to do Levels 3 and 4 at Campden and just get the others out of the way.

Personally though, I'd try to get into the food industry in the UK through the production route; generally it's not badly paid (QA auditors are normally paid similar or worse amounts than production staff), it will give you a bit of "hands on" experience if you don't have it already and then you can impress your bosses with the fact you are also doing courses outside. QA auditor roles IME come up very frequently and and they will probably fund you to do Level 2 food safety for production anyway so if you then do Level 2 HACCP in your own time they may get you into a QA role (seeing how keen and proactive you are) and fund the (more expensive) Level 3 courses for you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users