a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Dear Forum,

Our company is in the middle of developing the Beef Bone Extract Powder. The Brief description of the process is: we are cooking the bone to extract the marrowy part from the beef bone, and then we dry it (the marrow paste), so we can get a beef bone extract powder.

We found difficulties in setting the maximum microbial standard for the product, do you have a microbial standard for that kind of product, or similar with that (meat extraction)?. We're also lookin the microbial standard for the beef bone (raw material), so we can set a proper acceptance criteria. Highly appreciate for your kind attention.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

Dear Arya,

Definitely one of the more unusual* topic starters I've seen here.
(* I originally had the word "weirdest" but a little reflection proved there are so many equally or more strange food products around (to me anyway). By-products often also make a crucial contribution to the bottom line of course. I can still remember a tuna processor proudly showing me how his net profits came from the petfood business.)

Here is one specification for the chicken analog product -

http://www.made-in-c...ne-Extract.html

Not exactly startling numbers but logical I guess :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jarve

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

If you are drying the product out wouldn't the water activity and moisture content be more relevant?

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

Dear Arya,

What are the microbial tests you carry out for your product other than TPC, Y & M, S. Aureus and Coliforms & Salmonella? Do you assess the spore count? I believe the application of this product is for consumption and not for the culture media (excuse me if I have got it wrong). What are the additives used in your processing? IMO, the standard limit for your final product should be more or less similar as for spices 1x106 for TPC, max. 1x103 for Coliforms, negative for E. coli and Salmonella, and 1x104 for Y & M. The microbial criteria for our raw beef (with or without bones) should be APC - 106 cfu/g, Salmonella – Negative. I am interested to know about the protein %, aw and salt% in beef bone powder.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:30 AM

Dear All,

Thank you for the feedback. Wheew.. The searching of the reference is much harder than I thought. After spending of 8 hours in front of IT, I only managed to find few links that similar with my problem. Here is one of them that I think quite valuable to be shared:

www.hpa.org.uk/cdph/issues/CDPHVol3/no3/guides_micro.pdf

As for the standard (given by us to the costumer) is:
Water content: max. 6.0%
pH (1% solution): 5.0 - 6.0
Salt content: 10 - 16%
Microbial std:
TPC: max. 1 x 104
coliform: max. 1 x 102
Yeast: max. 1 x 102
Mold: max. 1 x 102
E.coli: Neg
Salmonella: Neg
As for the protein and Aw, we're still testing for it. I'll contact you if there's any further info regarding that. One more thing, the fat content from previous trials is about 15 - 24%.

Our costumer demanding a lower standard for the TPC. They would expecting numbers: max. 1 x 103, which IMO its very hard to reached. And yes, its for consumption needs, not for microbial assay. The similar products from China are also givin numbers: max. 1 x 104. I dont know what kind of standard that they used, any helps?

BTW J, do you mind to tell me from what kind of reference is your standard?

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

ear All,

Thank you for the feedback. Wheew.. The searching of the reference is much harder than I thought. After spending of 8 hours in front of IT, I only managed to find few links that similar with my problem. Here is one of them that I think quite valuable to be shared:

http://www.hpa.org.u...uides_micro.pdf

As for the standard (given by us to the costumer) is:
Water content: max. 6.0%
pH (1% solution): 5.0 - 6.0
Salt content: 10 - 16%
Microbial std:
TPC: max. 1 x 104
coliform: max. 1 x 102
Yeast: max. 1 x 102
Mold: max. 1 x 102
E.coli: Neg
Salmonella: Neg
As for the protein and Aw, we're still testing for it. I'll contact you if there's any further info regarding that. One more thing, the fat content from previous trials is about 15 - 24%.

Our costumer demanding a lower standard for the TPC. They would expecting numbers: max. 1 x 103, which IMO its very hard to reached. And yes, its for consumption needs, not for microbial assay. The similar products from China are also givin numbers: max. 1 x 104. I dont know what kind of standard that they used, any helps?

BTW J, do you mind to tell me from what kind of reference is your standard?

Regards,

Arya

Edited by a_andhika, 24 November 2008 - 02:51 AM.

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi Arya,

I would like to know if ionizing radiation can be used on beef bone extract for reducing the micro counts. Irradiation can be used in combination with other preservation process like heat treatments, MAP etc. The treatment depends on the sensitivity of the microorganisms, pH, food type etc.

The microbial standard which I had posted for the raw meat (TPC- 106) was as per Gulf standards.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

As per FDA regulations dry spices/ seasonings can be irradiated for microbial disinfection with a dose of 30kilograys max.

Best regards,

J

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

Dear J,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Actually we already irradiate the powder, but for the other customers. Unfortunately... the costumer that I am talkin about is refusing the irradiation. The best thing I can do now is tightening the GMP and RM Acceptance. But unfortunately (again) I still didnt get the micro standard for Beef Bone:(

Do you mind to share your reference doc about Gulf Standard? Coz I am not so familiar with it.

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users