• 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Dear friends,

I want to discuss following topic

Whether Visual inspection and sorting is considered as CCP as per CODEX guidelines.

Best regards,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Dear Siddhu,

Maybe yes, maybe no :smile:

You need to give more information - product / process / specs etc.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

I know a producer/packer of oysters, who did determine the inspection/sorting of oysters as a CCP.
However it was hard to them to make monitoring reports.

Critical limits, corrective actions, instructions, etc were fine. But there were no records showing conformity. The bad oysters were sort out and destroyed.
I think the sorting in this company is a critical proces, cause you can get really sick from bad oysters. I also think that it is not possible to handle it completely as a CCP. No monitoring-reports --> therefore no verification possible. No blocking or recall needed, if the critical limit is exceeded, etc.

But I agree with Charles C. --> tell us more about the proces/product/hazards/etc, and we can discuss it here

Edited by Madam A. D-tor, 24 March 2009 - 07:45 PM.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

I think, yes, at a push and oysters are probably a good example. The BRC standard mentions this point specifically:

2.8.2 Any critical limits based on subjective data (such as visual inspection) shall be supported by clear guidance or examples.

So what I'd have is a poster or SOP where there are photographic examples of acceptable and not acceptable. You also definitely need some paperwork which I think is where this gets more difficult.

I don't think it's ideal to base things on appearance; however, as the others have said, maybe if you let us know the process, we might be able to advise more. I would say this kind of CCP is rare, possibly more common in a catering environment where cooking of some items (e.g. eggs or bacon) might be gauged by a visual check as they can't really be probed.

I'd also argue that a lot of validation work would need to be done for any kind of visual check. In the oyster example Madam A gave, it would involve a lot of trialling visual segregation and then sending off the resulting "pass" and "fail" batches for micro testing to check that the segregation works! Also a decent level of verification micro testing would be needed.

Edited by GMO, 26 March 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Dear Siddhu,

I should hv mentioned there is a huge forum thread here on sieving / sorting etc if you do a bit of searching. The conclusion over any CCP status was that it "depends .... :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

S.U.Siddiqui

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

Dear Siddhu,

Any control measure can be a CCP. It totally depends upon the position of your control point and the nature of your product i.e it is to be further processed or it is an RTE.

Regards
Siraj

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users