Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Please help and help me understand................

I have not really give this any notice really due to the fact of being a QA Manager for 10 years but i would like to know the differance between QA Manager & Tecnical manager. The reasons i ask is i have had 6 Technical managers and they really have not give me any understanding of their role and as far as i can see the current Tech Manager i cant see what really they do as i seem to be doing all spec work/Auditing etc.

Please help me understand.....

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

Dear aps,

To answer yr individual comment, you are probably being manipulated by the Technical Managers. Hopefully the reimbursement is proportionate. :smile:

Quick definition - A Technical Manager is a QA manager who knows how to change an electical plug (without causing a strike). Qualifications may or may not be implied.

I fear there is no standard on this one.

Every country is different, every factory may be different.

IMEX, UK seems to think "Technical Manager" is some kind of Super-enhanced QA chief. It's just wishful thinking in many cases. :whistle:

Or perhaps it just supports a pay structure tree like Assistant Vice Manager. In some countries, people will regard the title of Technical Manager as absolutely meaningless.

Qualifications are (these days) perhaps necessary but for sure they are not sufficient. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

IMEX, UK seems to think "Technical Manager" is some kind of Super-enhanced QA chief. It's just wishful thinking in many cases. Posted Image
Qualifications are (these days) perhaps necessary but for sure they are not sufficient. Posted Image

Rgds / Charles.C

It will be all down to the responsibility and authority as described in the job description and management seniority of the position.

In the UK:
Technical Manager implies seniority but in some cases as Charles as indicated this is not reflected in the authority level and position in the organisational structure. Salary levels for the job title Technical Manager tend to be significantly higher than those for QA Manager. A Technical Manager would normally be part of the Senior Management team reporting to the Site Manager or Director. A QA Manager would be regarded as being less senior and may report to a Technical Manager.

I am sure titles and responsibility levels from country to country all around the world, which is why an organisational chart, responsibility and authority, reporting structures and job descriptions are important.

Regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

It depends upon the culture and the company. In some companies only one may exist, however, as Tony said, if they're part of the senior management team, they're normally Technical Managers.

What's the difference? This is what I think it should be.

A Technical Manager should ensure that the technical strategy for the site is sensible. They should take an overall view, look more at trends than day to day stuff and ensure that project work is ongoing to tackle adverse trends and prevent issues. They should also be customer facing where applicable. They should manage the technical department budget and manage interactions with other departments. They are also often involved in upcoming major projects (e.g. equipment purchases, builds etc.)

A QA Manager should be the day to day manager who deals with the crises as they arise and manages technical team workload / shifts etc. They will have some customer contact but less than the TM. The QAM is often the audit manager.

IMO either could be on the HACCP team (but one of them should be) and I think both should do some direct auditing because it's important to the factory to see senior technical people taking an interest and in my experience, the QAM and the TM are the toughest auditors and occasionally it's good to have a thorough look at things.

Does this happen? Erm no. I've been in both roles and in some QAM positions I've frankly done both jobs. How difficult / stressful the TM position is also dependent on any group technical functions you may have (which can help the TM or often just add meaningless workload!) The people management time required in both positions shouldn't be underestimated though.

I would also never expect either the QAM or TM to be doing specs. It's a waste of your time. Honestly, get someone cheaper to do it!

Edited by GMO, 08 July 2010 - 12:20 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FodfoodsafetyKate

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Dear aps,

To answer yr individual comment, you are probably being manipulated by the Technical Managers. Hopefully the reimbursement is proportionate. :smile:

Quick definition - A Technical Manager is a QA manager who knows how to change an electical plug (without causing a strike). Qualifications may or may not be implied.

I fear there is no standard on this one.

IMEX, UK seems to think "Technical Manager" is some kind of Super-enhanced QA chief. It's just wishful thinking in many cases. :whistle:

Or perhaps it just supports a pay structure tree like Assistant Vice Manager. In some countries, people will regard the title of Technical Manager as absolutely meaningless.

Qualifications are (these days) perhaps necessary but for sure they are not sufficient. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

This is such a true true comment!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users