• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

My 2nd question out to all of you food safety/quality gurus:

How similar is BRC to SQF 2000. I haven't had the time to really dig into the BRC program, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the consultant the the company I work for to implement SQF 2000 used BRC as the basis for the system prior to my start here (British spelling and word selection is used throughout the guiding documents). I don't want to get sidetracked too badly if there are some significant differences between the two programs.

Thanks in advance for you help and guidance! :smile:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

My 2nd question out to all of you food safety/quality gurus:

How similar is BRC to SQF 2000. I haven't had the time to really dig into the BRC program, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the consultant the the company I work for to implement SQF 2000 used BRC as the basis for the system prior to my start here (British spelling and word selection is used throughout the guiding documents). I don't want to get sidetracked too badly if there are some significant differences between the two programs.

Thanks in advance for you help and guidance! :smile:

As they are both GFSI approved BRC and SQF (Level 2) are pretty similar.

BRC requires a Food Safety & Quality Management System. SQF Level 2 is a Food Safety Certification.

SQF Level 3 is a Food Safety & Quality Certification and with additional requirements to Level 2:
Compliance with 4.4.4 Food Quality Plan - A Food Quality Plan based on the HACCP method which outlines how food quality will be controlled to be documented
Food Safety & Quality Objectives
A documented Policy Manual with a summary of the organizations food safety policies, quality policies and methods.
A documented Quality Manual
Compliance with 4.3.1 Product Development and Realization
The methods and responsibility for developing and approving detailed specification and labels for all packaging shall be documented.
Compliance with 4.3.5 Contract Manufacturers
Product Release once sensory analysis and evaluations are satisfactorily completed to verify customer specifications have been met.
4.5.4 Product Inspection - Comply with weights and measure requirements after shelf life trials are completed
Clause 4.5.4.3 The methods, responsibility and criteria for analyzing and assessing product quality and sensory attributes shall be documented and implemented
Clause 4.8 Identity Preserved Foods

You may find this comparison document useful. Attached File  standard_comparisons.pdf   799.72KB   184 downloads

Regards,

Tony

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

There are some interesting differences. I think BRC is often more prescriptive, although some would say the same of SQF.
The HACCP section for BRC spells out more detailed requirements than does SQF although both ascribe to CODEX principles. For example, I saw a BRC audit where points werre deducted because the HACCP team did not include an engineering representative. I also saw a BRC audit where the client lost points because they did not define 'what is an emergency'. BRC also clearly asks you to document both the positive and negative findings from internal audits while SQF merely states you need to document the results of internal audits. On the other hand - SQF has its mandatory 8 registers which are basically a sound concept but not all required in BRC. There are definately difference. To help yourself and your certification body - just be sure to follow the code you've selected.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

There are some interesting differences. I think BRC is often more prescriptive, although some would say the same of SQF.
The HACCP section for BRC spells out more detailed requirements than does SQF although both ascribe to CODEX principles. For example, I saw a BRC audit where points werre deducted because the HACCP team did not include an engineering representative. I also saw a BRC audit where the client lost points because they did not define 'what is an emergency'. BRC also clearly asks you to document both the positive and negative findings from internal audits while SQF merely states you need to document the results of internal audits. On the other hand - SQF has its mandatory 8 registers which are basically a sound concept but not all required in BRC. There are definately difference. To help yourself and your certification body - just be sure to follow the code you've selected.

If you are quoting standards and their requirements I think it would help if you posted the clauses the non-conformances were raised against.

Edited by Tony-C, 28 November 2010 - 01:10 AM.

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Sorry - can't quote the code - am out of the office (as usual) but don't have my BRC with me. Will try to get to it when I can.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

Sorry - can't quote the code - am out of the office (as usual) but don't have my BRC with me. Will try to get to it when I can.

Maybe I can help then:

BRC
2.1.1 HACCP plan shall be developed by a multi-disciplined team including those resposnible for Quality/Technical, Production Operations & Engineering functions
3.5.3 Internal Audits shall identify conformity as well as non-conformity
3.11.2 Requires written guidance on what would constitute an emergency

SQF
4.5.5.1 Methods & Responsibility for Internal Audits

SQF Registers
4.2.1.2 A register of current SQF 2000 Systemdocuments and amendments to documents shall be maintained. Documents shall be safely stored andreadily accessible.
4.3.2.2 A register of raw material specifications shall be maintained.
4.3.3.4 A register of packaging specifications and label approvals shall be maintained and kept current.
4.3.4.2 A register of all contract service specifications shall be maintained.
4.3.6.3 A register of finished product specifications shall be maintained.
6.3.7.1 A training skills register describing who has been trained in relevant skills shall be maintained
6.9.1.3 Glass i. All glass objects or similar material in food handling/contact zones shall be listed in a glass register
6.10.1.1 A register of Approved Suppliers and records of inspections and audits of Approved Suppliers shall be maintained. 6.10.4.1 A register of Approved Suppliers shall be maintained (A bit of duplication f 6.10.1.1)

Regards,

Tony

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

Thanks much Tony!

The number code system certainly indicates that the system book I have is definitely SQF, however only the first 3 digits are used. For example, in the book I have QM 4.3.2 corresponds with Raw Material Specifications, however the document itself is not further broken down by anything but paragraphs and bullet points. My company obtained this from a consultant in March 2010. I see now on the forum that the code was updated July '10.
Thanks

Thanks much for your replies!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users