Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

Anyone with any suggestions about a media policy?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,893 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Oooh interesting. In relation to incidents? In which case I would recommend it forms part of your business continuity plan or crisis manual. My first suggestion would be to identify the people (by name) who would be allowed to speak to the media and get them trained. My old manager at one site would have been a nightmare in front of the press but he would also have been the most senior person on site in a crisis so it's worth having those discussions up front before the incident happens.

I'd also think now (rather than in the heat of the moment) some wording for a statement (one line) for a few different scenarios which are likely or possible, for example:

Strike
H&S incident
Food safety incident
Protests

You might be able to think of more. I always reckon it's easier to think in a calm environment then tweak it in a crisis rather than think from a blank page when the sh** is hitting the fan... You also have the benefit of being able to run things past senior management which you might not have the option to do if you are in a bad state.

I'd also train all your staff not to talk to the media unless they are specifically media trained. It's the one liners from Bob the cleaner which will say something you really don't want to and make the 9 o'clock news.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Interesting topic... Besides media during a crisis maybe you shoudls also think about the social media? Is it ok to twitter every time a machine breaks down?
It's a diffcult thing to write a policy as you need controling and sanctions. So before writing a media policy rethink which media and the different situations.
Good luck with it!

Anne

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,893 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

Interesting topic... Besides media during a crisis maybe you shoudls also think about the social media? Is it ok to twitter every time a machine breaks down?
It's a diffcult thing to write a policy as you need controling and sanctions. So before writing a media policy rethink which media and the different situations.
Good luck with it!

Anne

Oooh very good point! I always state mobile phones are banned but there's another good reason why (but also of course computers could be used.) We had an issue with facebook once. Thanks for the idea, I'll certainly consider this in my new role.

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

You should identify and train the person who will talk to the media but it should not be the top person on site. It's best to somewhat shelter that person. It enables the spokesperson to say "I don't know - I'll check on that" - whereas top management can't say that.

You should develop 3 key statements about your company that are handy to mention any time. Often these come from your mission statement. When dealing media, you don't always have to answer the questions they ask. You can divert when needed by saying - yes - that is an interesting question, but let me tell you ...(and then state one of your key phrases)

You cannot prevent employees from speaking with the media. Your policy should state that it is discouraged. Also state - that although employees may speak the truth and always should, any employee who speaks dishonestly or misinforms or misleads the mdeia resulting in damage to the company or its reputation may be liable for their actions.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,893 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

I think in the UK anyway you can say in a policy that no untrained person can talk to the media (might be a freedom and rights issue in the US), however, it is important to back this up with a whistleblower policy as, if something is going on which is unethical or illegal, whistleblowers should be protected if they chose to take this to the authorities.

Guidance on the protection of whistleblowers (directgov.)

Edited by GMO, 27 March 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Good point, GMO. For food safety issues, there is whistelblowerr protection under the new Food Safety Modernization Act in the U.S. However, it covers reporting to Agencies and not necessarily the media; They key issue, I think, is reminding employees the impotance of honesty and the damage that misinformation can cause.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users