Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

We are implementing the use of packing gloves and are having some trouble monitoring the use of them. We use blue food grade gloves for handling open product and these gloves will be used for handling cases and cartons. The gloves are being used for safety (so employees don't cut their hands while packing cartons into cases). Our policy states that the gloves must remain in the plant, but we are not sure how to monitor that they do stay in the plant. Does anyone have ideas on monitoring? The other issue with the gloves is laundering them. If they have to stay in the plant, we don't know how the employees will clean them. Any ideas?

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

A suggestion would be to have employees sign for replacement gloves, then you will know if they bring them home and don't bring them back. This worls well for us regarding ear defenders.

The only absolute way is to sign them out and in morning and evening, but is it worth doing that? Perhaps for you it is.

If the employees are not allowed to bring the gloves home I would suggest that it is the company's responsibility to launder them. We have an external contractor for laundering PPE, and they follow an SOP sent by us to them regarding temperature etc...

hth

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

Dear jaredkkrischel,

Slightly OT but i am intrigued by the term "blue food grade glove". What does this mean? I'm assuming it is an American definition and that the colour denotes something, (material?), but as to the "food grade"???.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hi Charles,

I think he means blue coloured gloves. One can get multicoloured gloves these days!! :whistle:

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

jaredkkrischel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

Yes they are just food grade disposable gloves and they are just colored blue. The blue doesn't denote anything in particular. The difference between these and our newly issued gloves, is that the blue ones are disposable and the new ones are multi-use.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

Dear jaredkkrischel,

Thks for the comment.

And does the "food - grade" mean containing zero latex or ?? (I guess there must be some criteria ! :smile: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jaredkkrischel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

Some requirements for "food grade" are can be found here:

http://www.frost.com...cid=MBUT-5L3QPA

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Dear jaredkkrischel,

(Apologies for the :off_topic: )

Thks for the link.

The basic answer to my query seems to be -

In the past, the USDA had requirements for approval of gloves used for food contact. Those requirements have gone away. As a regulator, the USDA looks at the material that is being used in a glove, and insures that it is manufactured in a manner that is not going to adulterate or contaminate the product. Basically, the gloves manufactured must comply with the standard Code of Federal Regulations.

(see below)

The additionally mentioned NSF Certification Protocol 155 (2001) seems to still be in widespread use although I saw it described in one document as antique (no personal experience so cannot say, the protocol is available by purchase). I deduce it does not contain any assessment component regarding allergic factors (?).

While googling the NSF item I found this article (2007) which implies that the CFR mentioned above allows all the four materials polyethylene, latex, vinyl, and nitrile.

Attached File  barriers to bare hand contact, gloves - FUCBU.ppt.pdf   3.6MB   118 downloads

Pictures of all four materials being used for food handling are included together with varieties designed to minimise allergenic possibilities. Specifically the USA requirement for acceptability for food handling is apparently –

All food glove ingredients must comply with provisions in the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act and 21 CFR (Code of Fed. Reg.) Parts 170-199 Indirect Food Additives. Some medical glove ingredients may not meet this requirement (% allowed) for use with food.

(this particular section of the 21CFR seems to be [conveniently] used for a large range of products)

Have not checked the above 170-199 but so far hv not seen any indication that the allergenic aspect of latex is included as any kind of rejection criterion. If this is the case, seems that all the usual materials are basically acceptable.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jaredkkrischel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

trubertq,

My concern isn't that they won't bring them back if they bring the gloves home. I am more concerned with the gloves becoming contaminated if the employees took them home, used them, and brought them back to our facility dirty.

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Dear Jaredkkrischel -

I would suggest that you look at switching glove colors to separate product contact from non-product contact. The thick, reusable gloves are available in a variety of colors - we use blue and orange.
I assume that you have a hand/glove washing station prior to entering the processing area. Can monitoring and inspection be conducted there?
I agree with 'trubertq' that you will have to set up some sort of cleaning procedure either internally or through your contract laundry, if you chose to reuse product contact gloves.
A Risk Assessment can also be conducted regarding any food safety risk.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users