• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hello,

This is my first post although I've been using the forum for information for a while now.

We have a glass management system on site which excludes all glass but if there is no suitable alternative we state the glass must be suitably protected to inhibit breakage and for containment if a breakage does occur.

Having reviewed our glass register recently we discovered that some items have been installed on site which contain 'safety glass'. The definition of this is two layers of glass with an interlayer (usually PVB) which should ensure any broken pieces are held in place.

My question is - is this good enough or should we be considering laminating the external surfaces of the glass?

Hope someone can help!!

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

If you have a shatter resistant film to a window my understanding is that it should be applied to the inside of the window, ie. the side that faces production/storage. If there's production/storage on both sides of the window I'd thik that film would need to be applied to both sides. Film should be designed specifically for for shatter resistance and be at least 100 microns thick.

Regards,
esquef

bev

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

Thanks esquef, that was my understanding too but then I was told about the safety glass which is 2 x 3mm layers of glass sandwiched together with safety film

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users