mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

This is an audit checklist I created for Issue 6. Please feel free to use or modify to your needs. I will also upload to the files section.

Please be aware that the descriptions of the requirements in the clauses are not all inclusive. You will still need to have the Standard to ensure all items are covered.

To retype all of the content of the clauses would be too much work, would result in an unwieldy tool and more than likely be an infringement on copywrite.

Marshall

Attached Files

Edited by mgourley, 22 September 2011 - 12:26 AM.

monicad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

This is an audit checklist I created for Issue 6. Please feel free to use or modify to your needs. I will also upload to the files section.

Marshall

Hi Marshall

this is a bonus, we just had our last BRC audit against issue 5. I am the quality auditor in the company I work for and my next project is to risk assess and determine the auditing frequency against issue 6 and prepere the check list, but seems to me that you provided me 50% of the job I needed to do so cheers for that .

Ta

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

Hi Marshall

this is a bonus, we just had our last BRC audit against issue 5. I am the quality auditor in the company I work for and my next project is to risk assess and determine the auditing frequency against issue 6 and prepere the check list, but seems to me that you provided me 50% of the job I needed to do so cheers for that .

Ta

Quite welcome

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Nice work Marshall.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

Dear mgourley,

Thks yr effort. I had a quick look at opening sections.

I hv not seen ver6 so my comments below based on comparison to ver5.

Rather surprised to see that the items like the following apparently no longer exist –

The HACCP food safety team shall have a designated and qualified team Leader ….. (v5- 2.1.2)

Records shall be maintained that demonstrate the HACCP food safety team has the required knowledge and understanding of HACCP. ….. (v5- 2.1.3)

The company’s senior management shall demonstrate commitment and support to the HACCP food safety team. (v5- 2.1.4)

A full description of the product shall be developed, which includes all relevant information on food safety. As a guide, this may include …………….. (v5- 2.2.3)

Unless now re-arranged, some of the above appear of critical relevance IMO.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Caddyshack

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

Has anyone done a Gap Analysis between Version 5 and 6. If not, why not?. As you can see, I am trying to get the leg done for me!! :thumbup: . PS Great work Magourley!!

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Dear mgourley,

Thks yr effort. I had a quick look at opening sections.

I hv not seen ver6 so my comments below based on comparison to ver5.

Rather surprised to see that the items like the following apparently no longer exist –

The HACCP food safety team shall have a designated and qualified team Leader ….. (v5- 2.1.2)

Records shall be maintained that demonstrate the HACCP food safety team has the required knowledge and understanding of HACCP. ….. (v5- 2.1.3)

The company’s senior management shall demonstrate commitment and support to the HACCP food safety team. (v5- 2.1.4)

A full description of the product shall be developed, which includes all relevant information on food safety. As a guide, this may include …………….. (v5- 2.2.3)

Unless now re-arranged, some of the above appear of critical relevance IMO.

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,

I tried to condense and simplify the clauses for the purposes of the checklist. Not all requirements in the specific clause are indicated on the checklist. You will still need to have the Standard handy to ensure full compliance.

v5 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 are included in v6 2.1.1 and v5 2.2.3 is included in v6 2.3.1 for example.

Marshall

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Has anyone done a Gap Analysis between Version 5 and 6. If not, why not?. As you can see, I am trying to get the leg done for me!! :thumbup: . PS Great work Magourley!!

These are the key differences between v5 and v6

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

Dear mgourley,

I tried to condense and simplify the clauses for the purposes of the checklist. Not all requirements in the specific clause are indicated on the checklist. You will still need to have the Standard handy to ensure full compliance.

Thks for the comments. IMEX, and in agreement with yr last sentence above, this is always the risk in checklists. They can be wonderfully helpful but they can also occasionally be over-optimistic if the user doesn't read the full standard alongside.

Thks for the official BRC "up-date" attachment. I noted the comment for section 2 that "the actual requirements for this section which are based on internationally accepted Codex Alimentarius principles are unchanged." (except for some additional requirements, naturally).

Hopefully someone will do a more "itemised" checklist of the differences sometime. I'm sure Caddyshack will echo such an opinion. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Dear mgourley,

Thks for the comments. IMEX, and in agreement with yr last sentence above, this is always the risk in checklists. They can be wonderfully helpful but they can also occasionally be over-optimistic if the user doesn't read the full standard alongside.

Rgds / Charles.C

I suppose one could do a "checklist" that includes every word from the Standard, but that is entirely too much work. The whole purpose of my checklist is to show, at a glance, what is or what is not conforming.
If one uses the checklist, and the Standard when doing internal auditing or when getting ready for initial certification, one can easily see where more work is required.

Marshall

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:00 AM

Dear mgourley,

IMO, the objective of a checklist is to initially include all the itemised paragraphs which are considered essential together with an idea of the most important content within these paragraphs. The ease of doing this often depends on the structure / intelligibility quality of the standard.

"Essential" is subjective, obviously. BRC would perhaps claim that all the paragraphs are essential!. I happen to disagree with some of yr "deletions" but it's only my opinion since the standard is the final judge. Or rather the auditor. :smile:

Not wishing to criticise yr effort at all, quite the contrary, just adding a (hopefully) general caveat to users of checklists.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

Well, obviously one needs to use the Standard to ensure all bases are covered. I suppose I just could have put the clause numbering and a yes/no check box. I did say that people were free to use or modify it to suit their purposes.

I would assume that anyone using any checklist would ensure that whatever standards and requirements need to be "checked off" would make sure that all such standards and/or requirements were complete before ticking the box.

The intent was to condense the requirements into one or two lines that spelled out the "intent" of the clause.

Edited by mgourley, 22 September 2011 - 12:21 AM.

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Mgourley.Nice document

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hi mgourley,

The checklist that you created and posted will be very useful to many members using the BRC standard which they can modify to suit their needs.

Excellent work.

Posted Image

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

qsa

Grade - Active

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks mgourley .

Currently converting our basic ISO9001 system to BRC6 so your checklist certainly assists.

Well done

Greg

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Thanks mgourley .

Currently converting our basic ISO9001 system to BRC6 so your checklist certainly assists.

Well done

Greg

Quite welcome

Bradi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Thank you SIR

engeltje

Grade - Active

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

thanks, this seems to be a very useful document in the struggle of finding out all the details

Jason Young

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 127 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Attached Files

Edited by Jason Young, 20 December 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Thanked by 5 Members:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Jason;

Are you using this checklist as your internal audit for this section? We are just getting ready for our first BRC audit and I am just trying to get my hands around the fact that we must complete internal audits and what we must put into that audit. I am thinking of preparing the internal audits by section. So that would give me seven. Would that be a safe way to procede?

Regards
Jim

LBS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

thank you so much Marshall,

I have a question about the BRC,

Our products are produced by a subcontractor manufacture under our specification and brand, do we have to be certified BRC, or only the subcontractor ?

thank you for your help :smile:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Our products are produced by a subcontractor manufacture under our specification and brand, do we have to be certified BRC, or only the subcontractor ?

Good question and one that other more experienced members may be able to chime in on.

If you don't produce anything, and simply resell product, I don't see why you should have to be certified.
I would however, insist that your subcontractor is.

Marshall

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Dear LBS,

Yr post is somewhat off-topic but just for clarity, which BRC standard(s?) are you referring to ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Niru

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thank you Marshall, this checklist was very helpful. I have my first BRC audit in July, this Tuesday I will be going through my pre-audit first.

Niru

Big Kid

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi Mgourley,

Thx for your generious sharing, the checklist is a great help for me preping the coming up BRC audit.

Cheers,
Big Kid

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users