Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Good morning! Just wanted to get some opinions on the requirements for product release. Our products are released for dispatch, based on laboratory analysis and CCP checks. Is it acceptable to have a passive, or some might say negative, release where if supervisory staff have not received documentation of a failure, then it may be assumed that product can be released?
This would be so much easier for my plant than to require positive release, requiring a very busy dispatcher to check and file documentation from both the lab and production areas.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Good morning! Just wanted to get some opinions on the requirements for product release. Our products are released for dispatch, based on laboratory analysis and CCP checks. Is it acceptable to have a passive, or some might say negative, release where if supervisory staff have not received documentation of a failure, then it may be assumed that product can be released?
This would be so much easier for my plant than to require positive release, requiring a very busy dispatcher to check and file documentation from both the lab and production areas.

I think you need to maintain records at this stage (releasing) but it doesn't need to be always a paper record. That will serve as evidence of conformity with the acceptance criteria. And of course, someone must be authorized to pass the product at this stage who has the relevant knowledge and background.

*Edit - I was speaking purely as an ISO 9001 user and from a purely commonsense viewpoit. I don't have knowledge about BRC.

8.2.4 Monitoring and measurement of product of ISO 9001 says:

The organization shall monitor and measure the characteristics of the product to verify that product requirements have been met. This shall be carried out at appropriate stages of the product realization process in accordance with the planned arrangements (see 7.1). Evidence of conformity with the acceptance criteria shall be maintained.

Records shall indicate the person(s) authorizing release of product for delivery to the customer (see 4.2.4).The release of product and delivery of service to the customer shall not proceed until the planned arrangements (see 7.1) have been satisfactorily completed, unless otherwise approved by a relevant authority and, where applicable, by the customer.

Edited by mind over matter, 14 October 2011 - 07:44 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Dear Saltsafety,

This topic has come up several times here for various standards.

For BRC you could try this thread, there are probably others also (try search "positive release" ) -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__37410

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Saltsafety,

I strongly suggest you follow Charles C's advice (from BRC perspective)

For BRC you could try this thread, there are probably others also (try search "positive release" ) -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__37410

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users