Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I understand that adverse employee health conditions could lead to contaminations of product, but is the following a legitimate nonconformity under ISO 22000?

There was no medical record of workers on file.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

Depends on:
- your procedures (does your procedures say, that you should have them?);
- legal requirements in your country (is it required to have these?);
- your HACCP plan (did you identify this as a risk and did you document that a medical record is a control measure?)
- the products you are producing;
- general guides and hygiene codes in your sector (is it common to have these?);

Some examples:
in Belgium it is (by legislation) required to have a medical attest for all workers in food industry. In the Netherlands there is no such legal requirement.
However in meat industry and other sensitive products it is common to have some kind of health statement.
I would raise non-conformity in meat industry in both countries if they fail to show these records.
I would only raise a nonconformity in Belgium if it is about unprocessed fruits and vegetables.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 2 Members:

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:42 AM

To mind over matter:

In Malaysia, there is a new Food Hygiene Regulations which require the medical screening of workers (food handlers). While if you are going for FSSC 22000, one of the requirements in PAS 220 is medical screening of workers.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Seyed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

ISO 22000 is a fsms program, to ensure the safety of the product it is recommended to have an updatable medical record. .

Claudia_QP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay
  • Interests:FSMS, QMS, Food technology

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Interesting topic, how often this medical exam should me made to be considered update?. In my country legislation ask you to do this exams to workers once a year, but I don't think this is very useful in terms of food safety.
How about mantaining a record of workers that have been separated from sensitive areas in case of wounds, having a cold, or something like that? How do you guys do this?

Seyed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

In Middle east, it is recommended to have medical exam annually. If the organization wants to provide good personal hygiene, can do medical exam for the workers on half yearly basis, it all depends upon the organization say for eg. Nestle has their own food safety policy.

We can take a weekly personal hygiene and can check the workers health such as wounds & sickness. The workers should be instructed to report it to supervisor, if they are sick.

faisal rafique

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

It mostly depends upon your local legistation.

Faisal

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users