• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hello,
Due to a recurrence of foreign material problems with one of our vendors, 7 in one year ranging from insects to scoops etc. we have decided to conduct an audit of their facility and program. They are FSSC 2200:2009 & PAS 220 certified and unfortunately to date their corrective actions and non-existent preventative measures have been unacceptable for a GFSI certified company. In one of their corrective actions they provided documents showing that product somehow didn't follow their process and diverted one of their steps which happened to be a CCP. OOps,
We have been given permission by the president of said company to go unannounced and in preparation I am trying to find the relevant code for the programs we need to audit. As I am well-schooled in SQF and do not have a FSSC code can someone help and just provide the code numbering relevant to the task. I Have an old copy of the FSSC standard but i think its too out of date. In hoping to facilitate and perhaps speed the audit up my at least arriving with a bit of knowledge about their standard such as the relevant codes. I'm thinking that if they have a system where they have used the FSSC nomenclature it will facilitate the audit process, at least it should...
I would like to know the code for (just the reference number would do):
Complaint management
Document control
Product re-work
Product sampling, inspection and analysis as it pertains to raw materials
Internal audit program
Foreign material control program
Detection of foreign objects
management of foreign matter contamination incidents
Management of approved suppliers
Allergen control
Training or personnel

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Dear Katja,

I predict most (but not all) of yr list are FSSC prerequisite functions.

Not a user myself but AFAIK, FSSC 22000 (2009) will probably = iso 22000 (2005) + PAS220 (2008) + maybe few extras (?)
( actual users pls correct me if necessary :smile: ).

(AFAIK, iso 22000 has never been updated, although its guidance document iso 22004 (2005 also i think) exists and may be relevant to you.)

So the documents in yr possession may well be current.

I would suggest the simplest solution might be to ask for a copy of the manufacturers FS system, ie FSSC certification documents / submitted procedures.

Slightly old (2009) but there is a document with a (claimed) gap analysis between SQF2000 and iso22000 here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__32295

Rgds / Charles.C

PS i noticed a, presumably typical, example of a fssc22000:2009 certificate here -

Attached File  fssc22000 - heiploegbvfssc-22000(0).pdf   110.96KB   124 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Katja

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hello,
Due to a recurrence of foreign material problems with one of our vendors, 7 in one year ranging from insects to scoops etc. we have decided to conduct an audit of their facility and program. They are FSSC 2200:2009 & PAS 220 certified and unfortunately to date their corrective actions and non-existent preventative measures have been unacceptable for a GFSI certified company. In one of their corrective actions they provided documents showing that product somehow didn't follow their process and diverted one of their steps which happened to be a CCP. OOps,
We have been given permission by the president of said company to go unannounced and in preparation I am trying to find the relevant code for the programs we need to audit. As I am well-schooled in SQF and do not have a FSSC code can someone help and just provide the code numbering relevant to the task. I Have an old copy of the FSSC standard but i think its too out of date. In hoping to facilitate and perhaps speed the audit up my at least arriving with a bit of knowledge about their standard such as the relevant codes. I'm thinking that if they have a system where they have used the FSSC nomenclature it will facilitate the audit process, at least it should...
Complaint management
Document control
Product re-work
Internal audit program
Allergen control
Training or personnel

Charles is right, ISO 22000 should be your resourse for FSSC standards. PAS 220 is still uded but it was technically changed to ISO 22002-1. I have not obtained a copy of ISO 22002-1 yet so I will reference PAS 220 for you. They read about the same but the sections may vary a little.

Complaint management, ISO 22000 5.6, 8.3, 8.5
Document control, ISO 22000 Section 4.2
Product re-work, PAS 220 Section 14
Product sampling, inspection and analysis as it pertains to raw materials, PAS Section 9
Internal audit program, ISO 22000 Section 8.4
Foreign material control program, ISO 22000 Section 7.2 (PRP), PAS 220 10.4
Detection of foreign objects (same as above)
management of foreign matter contamination incidents, ISO 22000 Section 7.2, 7.5, 7.6, 7.10
Management of approved suppliers, PAS Section 9
Allergen control, PAS Section 10
Training or personnel ISO 22000 Section 6.2.2

Praxiom.com is a good resourse for the basics of ISO 22000 (http://www.praxiom.com/iso-22000.htm)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Katja

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Charles is right, ISO 22000 should be your resourse for FSSC standards. PAS 220 is still uded but it was technically changed to ISO 22002-1. I have not obtained a copy of ISO 22002-1 yet so I will reference PAS 220 for you. They read about the same but the sections may vary a little.

Complaint management, ISO 22000 5.6, 8.3, 8.5
Document control, ISO 22000 Section 4.2
Product re-work, PAS 220 Section 14
Product sampling, inspection and analysis as it pertains to raw materials, PAS Section 9
Internal audit program, ISO 22000 Section 8.4
Foreign material control program, ISO 22000 Section 7.2 (PRP), PAS 220 10.4
Detection of foreign objects (same as above)
management of foreign matter contamination incidents, ISO 22000 Section 7.2, 7.5, 7.6, 7.10
Management of approved suppliers, PAS Section 9
Allergen control, PAS Section 10
Training or personnel ISO 22000 Section 6.2.2

Praxiom.com is a good resourse for the basics of ISO 22000 (http://www.praxiom.com/iso-22000.htm)

Thank you so much, I know where to look now, I haven't had much luck up till now, a few items yes, but not the detailed one.

Thanked by 1 Member:

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thank you so much, I know where to look now, I haven't had much luck up till now, a few items yes, but not the detailed one.

Just keep in mind that the overall intent of SQF, BRC, FSSC and all the other food safety standards is pretty much the same. If you have it in SQF, chances are you will find it somewhere in FSSC (meaning ISO 22000 or PAS 220). If it is done right it should still look familiar to you.

Sean Archer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I guess this checklist will help you.

Sean Archer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sorry. Here it is.

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Sorry. Here it is.

Dear Sean Archer,

Thanks. Someone will probably prove me wrong but this may be the first audit list for PAS220 here. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, is this the 2008 version ? I ask because I noticed you hv included "chemical" in para 10.1 whereas it does not occur here in the 2008 standard, a curious omission which has been remarked on elsewhere on this forum.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS Just noticed the "2008" on page 1 so i can only assume you are being pro-active. :smile:

PPS not really relevant in this thread but, as already mentioned, PAS220-2008 is now updated for FSSC22000 purposes, eg -

FSSC 22000 Update: PAS 220 Withdrawn, Replaced with ISO/TS 22002-1

PAS 220:2008 Prerequisite program on food safety for food manufacturing has been withdrawn and replaced by ISO/TS 22002-1. This change will be the first of many related to the family of prerequisite programs for food safety and are expanded to include Design and Manufacture of food packaging, Manufacture of Animal Food, as well as related logistical and distribution programs.

https://www.nqa-usa.com/blog/2012/05/16/fssc-22000-update-pas-220-withdrawn-replaced-with-isots-22002-1/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Katja

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Just keep in mind that the overall intent of SQF, BRC, FSSC and all the other food safety standards is pretty much the same. If you have it in SQF, chances are you will find it somewhere in FSSC (meaning ISO 22000 or PAS 220). If it is done right it should still look familiar to you.

Thanks, I did the audit this week and noticed a few serious non-conformities, mainly based on my knowledge of SQF and experience with auditors and consultants. I will use the checklist provided below for the audit i will do next week.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hello,
Complaint management
Document control
Product re-work
Internal audit program
Allergen control
Training or personnel

Hi Katja,

Whilst I understand you want to know the relevant sections of the ISO 22000 & ISO 22002 standards, your focus on this audit as I believe your list suggests is assessing the systems in place to prevent foreign body contamination, inspect incoming materials & remove foreign bodies from incoming materials.

In preparation for your audit I would ask to see the suppliers latest audit report, Food Safety (HACCP) Plans & Quality Plans. It would also be useful to go with the list of foreign bodies and an assessment of possible sources.

You don't what material you are purchasing which would be useful to know.

Kind regards,

Tony

Sean Archer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Dear Sean Archer,

Thanks. Someone will probably prove me wrong but this may be the first audit list for PAS220 here. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, is this the 2008 version ? I ask because I noticed you hv included "chemical" in para 10.1 whereas it does not occur here in the 2008 standard, a curious omission which has been remarked on elsewhere on this forum.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS Just noticed the "2008" on page 1 so i can only assume you are being pro-active. :smile:

PPS not really relevant in this thread but, as already mentioned, PAS220-2008 is now updated for FSSC22000 purposes, eg -

What to say, the checklist is not mine, in fact I found it on the net. Posted Image

Just want to remind the sole audit checklists mean nothing for me and I suppose most of you think the same as any food safety system houses many details that are quite hard to decipher within one or two days.

Kind regards
Sean

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

FSSC 22000:2010 comprises ISO 22000:2005 + PAS 220:2008 (now moved to ISO/TS22002-1) + 3 additional requirements.

The 3 additional requirements are (1) Inventory of applicable regulations, (2) Specification for services and (3)Supervision of personnel in the application of food safety principles.

Regards,
Narongchai

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users