Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have a question regarding the Tesco Food Manufacturing Standard.
Specific the rules regarding "Footwear cleaning" (8.14.2, 8.14.3)

They refer in this standard to set up a scheduled footwear cleaning with control on effectiveness.

All our shoes/boots are cleaned / desinfected by a brushing machine before entering our production area.

In their advise "what good look like" (8.14.3) is written down --> Boot washers and footbaths do not negate the need for scheduled cleaning.

Question for you: - Is there a need of a separate scheduled cleaning program for footwear?
-If so, what is the reason / need to do this.

Many thanks in advance for your answer(s)

PAL

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 326 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hi PAL

The logic here is that automatic boot washing and disinfection systems are an element of your control regarding the hygienic standards of shoes and boots. Depending on the nature of the operation e.g. high risk food processes you need to reflect the fact that boot washing systems over time may not address all risks associated with foot ware and that a more robust cleaning schedule involving manual (or other cleaning) is required.

For example, from my experience with these systems the following can occur:

1. Not all surfaces of the boot may be reached by these systems.
2. Accumulated or ground-on food / debris over time will prevent proper cleaning of the boot regardless of how effective the boot washing and disinfection system is.
3. These systems can be by passed or not used correctly by operators if under supervised.
4. These systems themselves require maintenance e.g. brush wear, chemical concentrations, jets etc.
5. They can lead to an incorrect assumption that a boot wash system will by definition address all the risks.

It reminds me of the reversing sensor on my automobile. The manufacture says that it is just an aid and should not replace looking over my shoulder to prevent reversing into objects.... or something along those lines.

G

Thanked by 2 Members:

PAL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Many thanks for your reply. Your answer really helps me with understanding the logic of this.

Cheers,
PAL

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users