• 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi Guys and Girls,

Please can you help?

I need some kind of costings formula/percentage to add to products when making them in a factory. This is for 2nd year FS&T Degree students.

Basically, once you have costed all of the raw materials, what percentage do you add to cover:

Yield
Labour
Electricity
Gas
Machinery
Refrigeration
Freezing
Storage
Distribution

I know it all depends on the size of factory, what you are making etc... however is there a ball park figure for each of these items above? Either as a percentage of what is being made or as a value?

I would really appreciate your help on this as it is something I have never really looked at before.

Cheers

Simon

UPDATE:
I have managed to write a fairly comprehensive xls spreadsheet covering all costs now. Thanks!

Edited by mesophile, 03 August 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Scotty

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 73 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

The only info I can gleam is anything from 5 to 30% (from old costings). I seem to remember 8% for general overheads but this will depend on the factory/ process etc.
I've asked the financial team at the site I currently work at - currently their direct labour addition covers all other overheads and this varies significantly depending on process etc. The site producses a lot of 'handcrafted' seafood products so labour costs are significant.

Not much help but hope it gives you a start..

Regards

cesspadilla

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi Simon, you haven't replied to the thread so I don't know if you got your answer. I found this http://www.npd-solutions.com/dtc.html hope it helps.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users