• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC 6 - What are classed as oPRP and PRPs?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

sina

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Latvia
    Latvia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hello,

I have BRC6 audit and so I have question:

Can you please send sample a sample of oPRP and Prerequisite program and explain this which are oPRP and PRP:s.

Br,
Sina

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Hello,

I have BRC6 audit and so I have question:

Can you please send sample a sample of oPRP and Prerequisite program and explain this which are oPRP and PRP:s.

Br,
Sina

Dear sina,

AFAIK, BRC6 does not mention oPRP. This terminology is specific to ISO22000 and related standards together with FSSC22000.
(Very lucky for you :smile: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

sina

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Latvia
    Latvia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thank you,

But can someone please send sample of oPRP and Prerequisite program and explain this which are oPRP and PRP:s.Posted Image

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Dear sina,

The exact interpretation of PRP,oprp,CCP will depend on which standard/reference you are referring to, yr risk assessment, yr product / process. And possibly the auditor if subjectivity is involved. :smile:

The items below are examples of potential prp,oprp programs (and CCP points) –

1. Prerequisite programs
BRC Issue 6
Clause 2.2 - there is a requirement to establish and maintain environmental and operational prerequisite programmes. These include:
- Cleaning and sanitising
- Pest control
- Maintenance programs for equipment and buildings
- Personal hygiene requirements
- Staff training
- Purchasing
- Transportation arrangements
- Processes to prevent cross contamination
- Allergen controls

(note “operational prerequisite program” above is not necessarily the same as the oprp as used in ISO22000 terminology)

2. Oprp (and CCP) (with reference to ISO22000)

A list of “possible” examples which I posted in an earlier thread is –
Attached File  Collection of examples of various CCPs - OPRPs.png   337.35KB   142 downloads
(Contextually, any specific example must be related to a specific process hazard analysis)

A complete "program" would cover all the relevant documentation for a particular feature, eg basic procedure, monitoring, records, validation, verification etc.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Dear Sina,

The teminology in BRC is CCP, control points and prerequisite program.
OPRPs from ISO 22K are control points but there might be more control points às OPRPs.

Are you in a conversion from ISO 22K to BRC?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Zafar Niazi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Dear Sina
I am working in a Dairy Product company. You can reach me at my E-mail xxxxxxxx if you need any template or help. Thanks

Regards
Zafar Niazi

Edited by Charles.C, 10 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.
email address removed

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Dear Madam A.D-tor,

OPRPs from ISO 22K are control points but there might be more control points às OPRPs

Or none at all depending on one's POV (ie hazard analysis). :smile:
Some authors regard "elevated" PRPs as OPRPs also.
Others as validatable (yet not classifiable) CCPs.

Frankly, IMO, ISO22000 was/is a compromised mess as far as "HACCP" is concerned. It is suitably ironic that the traditional Codex Tree seems to be the preferred choice for CCP/OPRP discrimination)(In the English literature anyway).

(The Dutch precursor is better HACCP-wise IMO but also tends to get confusing (for me ) due to it's names for control measures / small size risk matrix.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Thank you,
But can someone please send sample of oPRP and Prerequisite program and explain this which are oPRP and PRP:s.Posted Image

Hi Sina,

As others have indicated OPRP is not terminology used by BRC.

PRP - prerequisite programme
These tend to be general food safety basic conditions and activities that are necessary to maintain a hygienic environment for the production, handling and provision of safe product

OPRP - operational prerequisite programme
These tend to be a more specific PRP identified by the hazard analysis as essential in order to control the likelihood of introducing food safety hazards or proliferation of food safety hazards in the product

BRC does refer to control from prerequisite programmes in section 2.7.3:

The HACCP food safety team shall consider the control measures necessary to prevent or eliminate a food safety hazard or reduce it to an acceptable level. Where the control is achieved through existing prerequisite programmes, this shall be stated and the adequacy of the programme to control the hazard validated.

So in this case BRC requires validation of the PRP in a similar way that ISO 22000 requires validation of OPRP's.

Charles has given you examples of prerequisites as required by BRC. Taking cleaning as an example, in general cleaning is required as a PRP to maintain hygiene standards and prevent product contamination. An example of the BRC equivalent of an OPRP would be cleaning to remove peanut residues when changing to a product that does not contain nuts on the same line (although it is advisable where possible to use separate production lines) where contamination with peanut residues would represent a significant food safety hazard.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users