• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to prevent greening of garlic paste?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

B. Nowak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hello, I have a question about garlic paste (minced garlic paste production) as I noticed most of produced garlic paste contain only garlic and citric acid, sometimes it is pasteurized.
I would like to produce garlic paste from chinese garlic which have been kept in cold stores. I have read that storage temperatures effect on color of garlic paste.
How can I prevent greening garlic paste? I don't want to change storage temperature. I don't want to use any preservatives if it is not necessary

Tech - QF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi

I believe that to stop greening, the garlic has to be mature so it needs to be kept at room temperature for 30 days or so before use.

I hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:
B. Nowak

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hi
The most common cause of 'greening' in garlic is the bulb starting to grow.
Old processed garlic usually goes yellow and generates an acidic smell.

I have in my time seen vivid green garlic, almost fluorescent, but the product is safe, if a little 'surprising'.

Whether it goes green depends on when it was harvested, how long, conditions and temperature it has been stored at.
In my experience Chinese garlic has been the most susceptible to problems including going 'green'.

The easiest test is get some bulbs from the centre of the store.
Garlic can produce some heat if not properly stored, so test from the centre.
Cut the bulbs in half and check the colour.
There is any trace of green in the centre then there is a strong possibility that the final paste will be green or have a tinge.
If its white throughout you should be ok.

This is not a spoilage or oxidation issue it is a plant growth issue so preservatives don't really help.
Remember that garlic bulbs are exactly that and their raison d'être is to grow and produce more garlic plants, which they will do enthusiastically given the opportunity.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:
B. Nowak

B. Nowak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi

I believe that to stop greening, the garlic has to be mature so it needs to be kept at room temperature for 30 days or so before use.

I hope this helps.

yes, it is true.
But sometimes there are no chance to keep it for 30 days in room temperature because garlic sprouts. Paste produced from sprouting garlic is a bad quality product.

B. Nowak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi
The most common cause of 'greening' in garlic is the bulb starting to grow.
Old processed garlic usually goes yellow and generates an acidic smell.

I have in my time seen vivid green garlic, almost fluorescent, but the product is safe, if a little 'surprising'.

Whether it goes green depends on when it was harvested, how long, conditions and temperature it has been stored at.
In my experience Chinese garlic has been the most susceptible to problems including going 'green'.

The easiest test is get some bulbs from the centre of the store.
Garlic can produce some heat if not properly stored, so test from the centre.
Cut the bulbs in half and check the colour.
There is any trace of green in the centre then there is a strong possibility that the final paste will be green or have a tinge.
If its white throughout you should be ok.

This is not a spoilage or oxidation issue it is a plant growth issue so preservatives don't really help.
Remember that garlic bulbs are exactly that and their raison d'être is to grow and produce more garlic plants, which they will do enthusiastically given the opportunity.

Hope this helps.

yes, I know it is not a spoilage. but still consumer prefer bright yellow paste.
I work in a packing house. We are storing garlic pre pack and sell it. Sometimes if some garlic will sprout or its general apearance is not good.
We processed it - produce garlic paste. So we don't have a time or even possibilty to keep it for a long time ( 30 days in room temp) . It has to be processed immediately

rgds

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users