• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hello All,

I will have very soon SQF Audit Editon 7.

I have question for you:
Did you pass your SQF Audit Edition 7? What was different then before? Which kind of NCR's you got it this time?

Thank you in advance.

SuperP

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

We had our 1st recertification audit (Edition 7, Level 2) audit a couple of weeks ago. We passed with 1 minor NC (99%). It wasn't too different than 6th Edition. I renumbered the SQF System to match Edition 7, and I know that made it easier for boht the auditor and us since docs could be accessed much quicker than if the old numbering system would have been used. Records, SOP's, SSOP's, training docs, etc. had also been renumbered to match the code numbers.

If you are Level 2 certified from your last audit and do R&D at your facility you may need to beef up on that since Product Development wasn't required in Level 2 6th edition but is in Edition 7. I beleive all auditors focus on different aspects of food safety management systems, so it's impossible to tell you what to watch out for. Be prepared for anything (make sure your Food Safety Plan is solid, verification/validation activities are being followed to code, your internal auditing system is working and finding and closing gaps through your CAPA system, your training programs are covering what's necessary and documented and validated properly, and cGMP's are being followed by production staff and staff has a good understanding of CCP's and why you're company is committed to SQF.

tadelong

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

We had our 2nd audit(the first under Code 7) a month ago. Passed with nineteen minor non-conformances. We found that the auditor barely checked our facility, as that is the thing we've been improving on for 45 years. Also, the CFIA do a fantastic job, anyways. The auditor dinged us on things like the scope and preparedness of our Business Continuity Plan(you don't have your backup truck or your generator listed!), how up to date our training recordkeeping was, etc. She marked us down for having light readings over a year old, despite the fact that we haven't retooled anything for 8 years. The biggest part was that we hadn't updated our HACCP plan for the new numbering system. Mind your numbers. We also had no Product Development plan, other than to say we did not do product development.

It seems like SQF is incredibly top-heavy. My inclination is that this is because the CFIA were doing a perfectly fine job of actually inspecting the facilities they were assigned before 3rd party audits ever became a known quantity.

Hopefully you'll have a smoother ride than us.
Thomas

PS. ONE non-conformance?

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

We just got our certificate yesterday for our initial SQF Ed. 7, Level 2 certification....

85 :doh: .... argh!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

We just got our certificate yesterday for our initial SQF Ed. 7, Level 2 certification....

85 :doh: .... argh!!

Dear Marshenko,

Well, it's a lot better than 69.

I think congratulations are still in order. :thumbup:

6 months to organise a better lunch ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Dear Marshenko,

Well, it's a lot better than 69.

I think congratulations are still in order. :thumbup:

6 months to organise a better lunch ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Indeed... thank you sir :smile: I'm fine with it, as the MAJOR that we got finally opened some eyes here and allowed me to hire an appropriately qualified Warehouse Supervisor/shipping/receiving mgr ...

We had 5 minors and 1 major, the major being due to a breakdown in product trace, the breakdown being that I couldn't trace 14 boxes of product that we shipped to the retail store that we own, the root cause being that we had an unqualified person filling in in that position because the owner didn't believe he needed to spend the money in salary on having a qualified individual in that position after the last Warehouse Supervisor left the company at the end of 2012.

So, we passed, I got my guy out there (he started last week) and now we move forward :clap:

Edited by Marshenko, 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I had my SQF audit last week and scored 97% with 3 minor non-conformances.

To be honest it was the worst audit I have ever had - the auditor looked at nothing during the audt prefering to spend time talking about himself and even spent 30 minbutes showing us his holiday photographs!

He spent 5 minutes looking at our HACCP plan, never even asked about validations, PPM or New Product Develpment and for all other elements basically asked if I had a program/procedure to cover it and as long as I said yes he wrote scored me as complient. All the non cons I gained were from the factory walk round.

I feel like complaining as the audit did not examine my systems and in no way did it check that my company is safe (although I assure you we are!) - however who in their right mind would complain about a terrible auditor and risk losing a good audit score?!

S

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I had my SQF audit last week and scored 97% with 3 minor non-conformances.

To be honest it was the worst audit I have ever had - the auditor looked at nothing during the audt prefering to spend time talking about himself and even spent 30 minbutes showing us his holiday photographs!

He spent 5 minutes looking at our HACCP plan, never even asked about validations, PPM or New Product Develpment and for all other elements basically asked if I had a program/procedure to cover it and as long as I said yes he wrote scored me as complient. All the non cons I gained were from the factory walk round.

I feel like complaining as the audit did not examine my systems and in no way did it check that my company is safe (although I assure you we are!) - however who in their right mind would complain about a terrible auditor and risk losing a good audit score?!

S

Damn. I had the exact opposite auditor, giving me a minor because, although I had a copy of our PCOs license in the pest control book, I had no other recorded evidence that he was "trained and qualified" in my files.

SuperP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

We had our 2nd audit(the first under Code 7) a month ago. Passed with nineteen minor non-conformances. We found that the auditor barely checked our facility, as that is the thing we've been improving on for 45 years. Also, the CFIA do a fantastic job, anyways. The auditor dinged us on things like the scope and preparedness of our Business Continuity Plan(you don't have your backup truck or your generator listed!), how up to date our training recordkeeping was, etc. She marked us down for having light readings over a year old, despite the fact that we haven't retooled anything for 8 years. The biggest part was that we hadn't updated our HACCP plan for the new numbering system. Mind your numbers. We also had no Product Development plan, other than to say we did not do product development.

It seems like SQF is incredibly top-heavy. My inclination is that this is because the CFIA were doing a perfectly fine job of actually inspecting the facilities they were assigned before 3rd party audits ever became a known quantity.

Thomas

PS. ONE non-conformance?

Hello tadelong,

Could you please explain more about your HACCP Plan new numbering system.

Thank you in advance,

SuperP

tadelong

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi, SuperP;

I was just referring to the line definitions between SQF 2000 Code 6, and SQF 2000 Code 7.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

We just passed ours and it it was very detailed.

AIB is our certifying body. Their auditor went trough almost every clause and our HACCP plan and we got a minor on verification and validation. We were lucky. I honestly thought we were going to get a Major.

Things to be aware of:

Business continuity Plan - have a training record when there is an emergency all personnel must have a basic knowledge of what to do in the event of business disruption. (Senior management and Management at all levels as well)

Pest control - have an awereness training program showing what to do and not to do with mouse traps and insect traps. (First time I have heard this one )

Recall Procedure - have record of Foward exercise and bcakwards.

Calibration - Process of what do you if you discover the scale is malfunctioning. Do you place the product on hold? and How far do you trace the scale weight checks? What do you with the product?

Pest Control - Evidence of approval of chemicals used in the Facility for Pest control. Take this further, evidence of approval of raw materials, packaging, and other chemicals.

Glass and Brittle Plastics - must show a procedure where in case of breakage: How do you isolate the area? and the personnel involved in the clean up must either wash garmets or change into clean garmets (clothing, boots, ect....) follow by an inspection before start up.

I hope this helps.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

S

Yup. My position exactly. Just ended up adding more cost to the supply chain; senior management lost all respect for the audit.... but who would complain? We "passed".
So much for getting senior management support.

More importantly, what will be the consequential impact in the market place as to 3rd Party audit creditability: from the end users and retailers to GFSI and retailers who are making the audit criteria.

Carol88

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thomas

PS. ONE non-conformance?

Hi Thomas you mention the new numbering system for the HACCP Plan. I'm sorry I do not understand this what is the numbering system.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi Thomas you mention the new numbering system for the HACCP Plan. I'm sorry I do not understand this what is the numbering system.

Dear Carol,

Maybe -

http://www.ifsqn.com...n-7/#entry59760  ??

Or perhaps you are seeking more details ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

elaineli09

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

I was wondering which CB you use.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

I was wondering which CB you use.

Try not to focus on which CB elaineli09. They will send you whichever auditor and they are not all the same. An easy audit won't help you continuously improve.

Focus more on your food safety/quality (if applicable) program, and do whatever you can to fulfill ever section. "Do what you say".

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users