Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Anyone have a template for a HACCP hazard analyis that would work for a BRC audit they would like to share. I have to make some changes to our plan and would like to make sure it will set be up correctly for BRC.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Anyone have a template for a HACCP hazard analyis that would work for a BRC audit they would like to share. I have to make some changes to our plan and would like to make sure it will set be up correctly for BRC.

Hope this can be of some use.

Caz x

Attached Files

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Nice workbook Caz. This will do the job for BRC very well. One small point, when the risk assessment produces a low risk hazard (as opposed to a medium or high risk) it is normally not required to put the hazard through the decision tree. I am assuming the Green hazards are low risk.

It relates to the significance of the hazard which is the purpose of the risk assessment. The reason is to make sure low risk hazard don't become CCP's which can sometimes happen with the CODEX decision tree.

George

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Nice workbook Caz. This will do the job for BRC very well. One small point, when the risk assessment produces a low risk hazard (as opposed to a medium or high risk) it is normally not required to put the hazard through the decision tree. I am assuming the Green hazards are low risk.

It relates to the significance of the hazard which is the purpose of the risk assessment. The reason is to make sure low risk hazard don't become CCP's which can sometimes happen with the CODEX decision tree.

George

Dear George,

I agree with your comment regarding prioritisation.
The US reference HACCP procedure (NACMCF 1997) also definitely agrees with you.

But IMO Codex 2003 is poorly written regarding implementation and use of the hazard analysis, eg the section title specifies "identified" hazards, fair enough, but the immediately following text refers to "each" hazard so that the intended progression is blurred. And since BRC follows the Codex line the situation is maintained although para. 2.8.1 tries to re-orient the focus. The (obviously) missed word in both documents was something like "significant". (Curiously the initial Codex definition of "hazard analysis" is IMO much better, BRC's glossary predictably tries to condense it thereby IMO losing some of its clarity again :doh: ).

One can also find numerous published examples / books which apply the Decision Tree to every step.
And similarly some training courses. The reason here IMO is that the "gross" approach makes the explanation soooo much easier, eg this pattern > CCP, otherwise > just forget it. Now you’ve done HACCP, Congratulations. Clink, Clink.

(nonetheless, it's a pleasure to read Caz's elegant prose :thumbup: )

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - i should add that for "traditional" HACCP and BRC I have always determined CCPs based solely on the result of a risk matrix ( occurrence likelihood x severity) result without using a Decision Tree at all. Not encountered any auditorial problems although a few auditors have "worried" over the absence of a tree and requested validation (eg Codex! :smile:, and certain EC documents).
To my mind there has been a substantial amount of brainwashing on this aspect. Seems to me that ISO 22000 tried hard to improve the Codex presentation but still managed to foul it up due to their own garbled logic which remains after 8years. Reprehensible IMHO. (I did notice a document on the IT recently suggesting that some further thoughts were currently active.)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

We are BRC certified and use the attached template and decision tree matrix for our HACCP risk assessments.

Attached File  HACCP RISK ASSESSMENT TEMPLATE.xls   72.5KB   970 downloads

Thanked by 4 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

We are BRC certified and use the attached template and decision tree matrix for our HACCP risk assessments.

Attached File  HACCP RISK ASSESSMENT TEMPLATE.xls   72.5KB   970 downloads

Dear jpredmore,

Thks for the minimally-neat document.
I'm curious - is the "radiological" row something to do with being FSMA-ready ? or location ?
And the absence of allergen row is due personal choice, product, FSMA again, or ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm curious - is the "radiological" row something to do with being FSMA-ready ? or location ?
And the absence of allergen row is due personal choice, product, FSMA again, or ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Charles.C

To answer your questions; yes the radiological is in preperation for FSMA. Our Allergens "were" marked under the chemical hazard, this year however we will be making an allergen row to go along with the Phys, Chem, Bio & Radi ones.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

My understanding of Codex, and certainly for the BRC, is that the use of the Decision Tree is not mandatory, it might facilitate identifying CCPs in some circumstances. However many HACCP training courses seem to spend more time on this than anything else.

Personally, it is something that I try to avoid wherever possible.

Barrie@RJT

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Good grief, I hope no MORE rows are to be inserted......my risk assessment already has to be in A3 format to read it, and runs to 17 pages......!! And that's without 'radiological' (which is boggling my little brain, I have to say!). :helpplease:

Tran Lam Thanh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thanks Caz
Could you please help me on this:
But how to score the risk / based on which document ? and how many score (total) = significant risks ?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users