Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

For this section of the standard, I am wondering how we show evidence of "systematic checking" and the process for ensuring the information is transferred into action as necessary?  We are constantly getting information from multiple sources and I'm not sure how to document everything that we read or hear.  How is this handled in other USDA inspected facilities?

Thank you!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

For this section of the standard, I am wondering how we show evidence of "systematic checking" and the process for ensuring the information is transferred into action as necessary?  We are constantly getting information from multiple sources and I'm not sure how to document everything that we read or hear.  How is this handled in other USDA inspected facilities?

Thank you!

Hi Tanward,

The requirement is 'system in place to ensure that the company is kept informed of scientific and technical developments, industry codes of practice and all relevant legislation.........'

So it sounds like you have systems in place to receive information which is good.

I would normally file relevant information/legislation and have a register. These can then be referenced in your Foood Safety Management System documents such as HACCP plans or Quality Plans. I assume that updates to these are normally communicated to relevant personnel.

Regards,

Tony

TJW

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thank you Tony. 

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's like Tony says, keep a register of legislation, (and copies of the most relevant ones to your business), copies of white papers (Safe food 360 do a great selection), go onto the web sites of your suppliers and download any pertinent documents they may have. I also download documents that i sometimes find on here that can be relevant.

Caz x

cheese17

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi - can you point in a direction of where to find relevant information that I need to store/keep up to date with for section 1.1.6?  Where is the best place to find white papers , changes in legislation etc?

Thanks In Advance

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Hi - can you point in a direction of where to find relevant information that I need to store/keep up to date with for section 1.1.6?  Where is the best place to find white papers , changes in legislation etc?

Thanks In Advance

Hi bexarnold,

This will depend on your operation

BRC Standard:
1.1.6 The company’s senior management shall have a system in place to ensure that the site is kept informed of and reviews: scientific and technical developments, industry codes of practice, new risks to authenticity of raw materials, all relevant legislation applicable in the country of raw material supply, production and, where known, the country where the product will be sold.

BRC Guidance:
Technical knowledge and information
Food safety issues and legislative requirements are constantly changing and the objective of this clause is to ensure that sites remain up to date, are able to meet legislation and can adapt their food safety systems to protect against new threats. The company must be able to demonstrate that it maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, scientific and technical developments, potential risks to raw materials (e.g. to the authenticity of the raw material), and industry codes of practice. Activities to achieve this may include: membership of a trade association which provides this service, subscription to a service provider supplying legal updates, help from government officials or local enforcement offices, regular review of identified websites covering legislation and standards.
In addition to information relating to food safety, the site must also have a system to obtain and review information relating to the authenticity of raw materials and the potential for substitution or dilution of the ingredients. This information will be required to demonstrate compliance with clause 5.4.1.
The company needs to demonstrate that it can readily access, either directly or through a third party, legislation relating to the product in the country, state or territory where:

• raw materials are sourced
  • the product is manufactured
  • the product is sold to the ultimate consumer (if known).

The auditor will therefore look for evidence of systematic checking and the process for ensuring the information is transferred into action as necessary.
Sites must understand and comply both with relevant food safety and labelling legislation in the country of manufacture and with any applicable legislation where the product can reasonably be expected to be sold.

So relevant legislation, your location and products need to be provided if you require further advice.

Regards,

Tony

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

I read somewhere that somebody had created a spread sheet detailing the sources of information they have along with dates of when it is checked for updates, when an update or subject matter is revised / identified on their routine check, they communicate it out accordingly.

I plan to adopt a simular strategy myself..

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

We also use membership of Camden BRI, Leatherhead FRI and the relevant trade associations (in our case AIJN, BSDA etc.) as reliable sources of information on regulatory changes. It's always worked for us (BRC 7 audit in 3 weeks and counting).

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

good luck with that :) i have untill june next year for our 1st audit :yikes:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic