• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hello Everybody,

We are manufacturers of ground spices. Our spices processing line has 4 sieves at different levels of processing of pulverization. One vibrosiever at the end where final sieving is done where finished product and coarse product are separated, where coarse product is reprocessed again to meet the specifications.

My query is that, do i have to check the integrity of all the four sieves regularly in that case we will have to stop the production for atleast 90 mins to unscrew the machines check and screw them again, or is it ok to just check the integrity of the final sieve which might save our production time.

Thank you 

Regards, Karthik

sudarshan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:read standards...understand it....implement it...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Dear Kartik,

in that case u can check product fineness at regular interval so you can know your sieve is intact or not. 

Best Regards
Sudarshan Koli
koli.sudarshan@gmail.com

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hello Everybody,

We are manufacturers of ground spices. Our spices processing line has 4 sieves at different levels of processing of pulverization. One vibrosiever at the end where final sieving is done where finished product and coarse product are separated, where coarse product is reprocessed again to meet the specifications.

My query is that, do i have to check the integrity of all the four sieves regularly in that case we will have to stop the production for atleast 90 mins to unscrew the machines check and screw them again, or is it ok to just check the integrity of the final sieve which might save our production time.

Thank you 

The frequency is up to you to determine, but the more frequent checks are performed, the more you are cutting down on the amount of affected product in the event of a failure. A check at the begining and end of the day would be sufficient with all the proper paperwork to record that the checks were done. However in the event that there was a failure discovered at the end of the shift, the whole days production is now suspect unless you have other means of contamination controls in place. e.g metal detection and x ray

Hope this helps.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Dear KarthikP,

Well, purely from a risk POV, I would think the answer depends on the relative importance of the 4 sieves in respect to yr achieving the desired quality result.

If they all contribute significantly to achieving yr size specification (if not, why not use <4 :smile: ?), presumably you should check them all. ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS -

We are manufacturers of ground spices. Our spices processing line has 4 sieves at different levels of processing of pulverization. One vibrosiever at the end where final sieving is done where finished product and coarse product are separated, where coarse product is reprocessed again to meet the specifications

brc 4.10.2 relates to foreign body control.

my impression was that you are discussing obtaining the correct size specification ???

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Karthik P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

Thank you guys for your inputs. Much appreciate it. 

Charles,

Yes, am talking about size specification. Sieves contribute mainly for our size specification 500 microns being followed by metal detector. That is why am confused about 4.10.2.2, main function of our sieves is for product specification not foreign body control though they might control the contamination. We have precleaning process for our whole chillies before we process them. 

Edited by Karthik P, 03 July 2013 - 05:20 AM.

Regards, Karthik

Kumaraks

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hello Everybody,

Thank you 

I have worked with a similar process and what I advised my client is to check the integrity of sieves coupled with periodic preventive maintenance, since those sieves cannot see immediately otherwise dismantled. However traceability mechanism to be devised to track the batches within each preventive maintenance cycle.

All the best

Kumara

Sri Lanka

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Dear KarthikP,

Basically you need to do a risk assessment  (hazard analysis) for your product / process for foreign bodies, ie to determine whether  the sieves are controlling a significant safety hazard. If you consider this is not the case, then I predict that BRC is not interested in any of the 4 sieves.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users