Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi Everyone...This Forum is great. I am supposed to get BRC for a small site in about 4 months but i've never done anything like it before though im confident in my ability (I think). Is is their first audit but just gotta horse through it so hopefully this site can help me get there.... :rock:

Quick question...I have lots done for this clause but im not entirely sure how it should look like all together as a whole. Anyone perhaps have a template (or anything) I could use to get my head around this and not make myself look like a fool in front of my boss or auditor. :spoton:

Thanks Everyone.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

Clause #18 (out of about 239): Make a map of the flow and consider the following:

2.5 Construct a process flow diagram – Codex Alimentarius Step 4 Inturp Guide 2.5.1 A flow diagram shall be prepared to cover each product, product category or process. This shall set out all aspects of the food process operation within the HACCP scope, from raw material receipt through to processing, storage and distribution. As a guide, this should include the following, although this is not an exhaustive list:
·   plan of premises and equipment layout
·   raw materials including introduction of utilities and other contact materials, e.g. water, packaging
·   sequence and interaction of all process steps
·   outsourced processes and subcontracted work
·   process parameters
·   potential for process delay
·    rework and recycling
·    low/high-care/high-risk area segregation
·    finished products, intermediate/semi-processed products, by-products and waste. An accurate flow diagram indicating all process steps, including all inputs and outputs, needs to be
constructed. This may be achieved through one diagram or in a modular form as described in clause 2.3, but
it shall clearly identify the interaction between process steps. The Standard lists guidance on the points to
consider and include when developing the flow diagram:
• a plan of premises and equipment layout to facilitate consideration of cross-contamination risks (e.g.
allergen control)
• raw materials, including introduction of utilities and other contact materials (e.g. water, packaging)
• sequence and interaction of all process steps (e.g. method of transportation between each step)
• outsourced processes and subcontracted work
• process parameters
• potential for process delay (i.e. how products or ingredients will be handled if a delay occurs)
• rework and recycling
• low/high-care/high-risk area segregation
• finished products, intermediate/semi-processed products, by-products and waste.
The flow diagrams shall be signed and dated.

... where is the preview post button... dunno how this is gonna look...

Cheers,

-Cory

Thanked by 1 Member:

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

That posted like crap... anyhooo, Per HACCP, every food packing facility is unique, so it is hard to get a "template" to really capture your unique processing line. Use word, excel, whatever to map it out/boil it down to the essential processing steps. and consider the 3 hazards that are possable to affect it on the way.

4 month... ufff, good luck.

-B

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

Dear Emmet Cooke,

As baron comments, there are many format styles and the minimum naturally depends on what the standard demands in yr own context. BRC have got progressively more inquisitive as their revisions have progressed. IMO, it’s better to keep the/a version used for hazard analysis (see below) as uncluttered as possible. One common error is to forget some inputs (eg ingredients / water) or some outputs (eg waste material, [latter might be considered optional in some presentations])

It may not make much difference if you have a simple and/or short process but it can be advantageous if the (numbered) layout style directly assists in working through the hazard analysis.

Two examples from the many on this forum -

http://www.ifsqn.com/forum/index.php/topic/15224-yoghurt-risk-assessment-iso-22000-73-744/#entry39585

(pdf)

http://www.ifsqn.com...0-73-744/page-8

(excel)

Rgds / Charles.C

PS – the subsequent (fairly direct) implementation of the pdf above for iso22000  is shown (Excel)  here –

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-7#entry50651

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

Emmet Cooke

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Everyone,

This has been Very Helpful!!

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi Emmet

Before the BRC audit you will need to send some documentation which will include the HACCP and flow chart to the organisation who will be carrying out the audit.

If you have a good relationship with the auditor body you can send them what you have done so far and ask for their input before you submit the final version.

Usually they are happy to offer advice.

rgds

dshapos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I would recommend a modular approach.  Separate each phase of processing into it's own small flow plan.  That way you are sure you haven't missed any inputs/outputs (water, waste, rework, etc).  once you have each module worked out, you can show how each module interacts with another module (see attached example)Attached File  Modular Flow Diagram - Master Schematic Example 072013.pdf   110.6KB   292 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users