Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

This should be fun :gleam:

According to the SQF Code:

2.1.2.5 The SQF practitioner shall:
i. Be employed by the supplier as a company employee on a full-time basis;
ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the supplier’s SQF System;
iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;
iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP basedfood safety plans and food quality plans; and
v. Have an understanding of the SQF Code Level 2 and the requirements to implement and maintain SQF System relevant to the supplier scope of certification

Now, according to United States Law:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer.

So, if company policy were to dictate that certain employees are considered full-time for "X" amount of on-site hours, with the duration of their work hours be offsite, would an auditor be able to challenge that assessment under the code?

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Interesting observation. It is fuzzy to be sure. FLSA does't define full time, but U.S. Health and Human Services do state that it's 30 hours. Which agency is the "go to" authority to define full time? For what it's worth here's a list of some countries definition of full time workweeks from Wikipedia:

Full-time workweeks:

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I would also note that the state in question (yes I'm asking for a purpose lol) does not define full or part time employment...

Also, the Affordable Care Act definition listed is only linked to an IRS "guidance document" for large employers (those with 50 employees or more), which is not applicable here.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

This should be fun :gleam:

So, if company policy were to dictate that certain employees are considered full-time for "X" amount of on-site hours, with the duration of their work hours be offsite, would an auditor be able to challenge that assessment under the code?

So if your company defines full time, the SQF Practitioner has a 'full time' contract and the definition of full time is reasonable I don't why they would challenge.

Oh I guess you are going to say what is reasonable........... :whistle:

Regards,

Tony

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm just trying to get two paychecks here, and it seemed like an interesting loophole, not gonna lie :sleazy:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

What the requirement is saying is that it has to be a regular company employee.  It cannot be someone contracted to do the job.  When I was at the Practitioner class they also said it HAD to be someone that was onsite that you couldn't have one person oversee 3 plants anymore.  That might be a little bit of interpretation but they know SQF better than I do.

Have a good day.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users