Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Is the organizational structure simply an org chart showing all positions that have food safety responsibilities? I would like to see examples that meet the following requirement:

2.1.2.1 The organizational reporting structure describing those who have responsibility for food safety and quality and their interrelationship shall be defined and communicated within the organization.

How is interrelationship defined?

speedysnacks

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hi Speedysnacks,

Everyone in your organization has responsibility for food safety, so utimately everyone should be represented on your org chart. That doesn't mean everyone as individuals (for example hourly production employees can be lumped together as "Production Staff").

From a Food Safety/Quality point of view it's fairly standard to have the QA and/or Food Safety Manager(s) reporting to the top position of the chart (usually the President or Managing Director) as well as the Operations Manager. Having the Food Safety/Quality Manager(s) reporting directly to the Operations Manager is typically viewed as a probable conflict of interest.  

You can Google for many examples of formats, but here's a common simple beginning of an org chart: 

TR010085481.png?ts=0

Thanked by 2 Members:

Susan Ranck

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Most often persons will be looking for clarification of different responsibilities for food safety depending upon the position.  You would use the organizational chart - which will show defined reporting lines - with job descriptions to support tasks.  For example - the Quality and Food Safety Manager would have responsibility and accountability for managing programs, operational supervisors may be responsible for ensuring food safety procedures are followed, Quality technicians may be responsible for auditing the procedures for compliance, the CEO would be responsible for allotting resources in support of the programs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Susan Ranck

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

Is the organizational structure simply an org chart showing all positions that have food safety responsibilities? I would like to see examples that meet the following requirement:

2.1.2.1 The organizational reporting structure describing those who have responsibility for food safety and quality and their interrelationship shall be defined and communicated within the organization.

How is interrelationship defined?

From SQF Guidance:

'The senior responsible person is required to document the organizational reporting structure that describes each position that has responsibility for food safety and quality. The organisational structure provides a snapshot of how these positions interact and share that responsibility.
Senior management must convey this to every employee. This will be written into job descriptions for all roles within the facility that impact food safety and quality. Job descriptions for key personnel must include a provision for coverage on all shifts and replacement during absence. There must be documented instructions and training for all staff to report food safety and quality problems to personnel with the authority to initiate actions'.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Carol88

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi Speedysnacks

If your company is owned or managed off site make sure that this person and their title is on the top of the org chart as I received a minor for not having this person on the top. I just had all positions starting from the manager down noted as I thought it was just for the site whereas I needed to have the managing director on top as the most responsible person even though he doesn't work on site or even appear to many times.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users