Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

My company is currently preparing for our first BRC audit. I was hired as QA to bring us to compliance, my background is, I started off as a warehouse handyman, to shipper, to Production Line QC, to QA Manager in 3 years. So it can be said I am learning on the go, and so far this forum has been a valuable resource.....

That being said, aside from our own business of bottling olive oils and vinegars, we are a co-packer with 30+ clients. For a number of these clients, we are full service providers of the materials; from raw bulk material, to packaging, to labels. For all of these, creating an Approved Supplier Program has been no problem, as we control where everything comes from.

The other group of clients provides us with the materials. Some clients being better than others at providing COA's and other documentation. I would like to require these clients to provide me with all the information I need to ensure that material is safe, but I am not sure if they would be obligated to comply with this.

BRC manual says, "the site must ensure that information is obtained about the product and supplier such that potential risk to other products are assessed and controlled."

Does anyone have any advice on working with Co-Packing clients with regards to an Approved Supplier Program for BRC?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Dear Lazlo,

but I am not sure if they would be obligated to comply with this.

Unfortunately this represents the "crunch" (or one of them).

The point is that from BRC's POV (and implicitly within yr bestowed title) you are obligated to obtain it. :smile: 

And yes, it is sometimes not easy and may also lead to internal friction, but "BRC requires" offers a quite potent leverage IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hi Lazlo,

I would certainly look at the contract and make sure you have specifications for all the materials. From the specifications you should be able to assess the risk of contamination & cross-contamination of your other products.

If it is a major concern and you are getting nowhere with regards to information can you assess the risk based on general information about the material, completely segregate or say run last?

Regards,

Tony

Azhar Sayyed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

I would certainly look at the contract and make sure you have specifications for all the materials. From the specifications you should be able to assess the risk of contamination & cross-contamination of your other products.

If it is a major concern and you are getting nowhere with regards to information can you assess the risk based on general information about the material, completely segregate or say run last?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users