• Quick Navigation
Photo

What records needed for verifying and validating all SQF documents?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

What type of records need to be kept on verifying and validating all SQF documents?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Dear Lacey,

Is it possible  yr question only has (SQF) relevance with respect to HACCP ? . :dunno:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

:helpplease: I was under the impression by the consultant that all documents needed to be verified and validated. Just wondering what records need to be kept for these activities.

For Example: Master contact list needs to be verified and validated? Product register?

I understand verification & validation for PRP like sanitation (signing off that it's done, micro results for validation), but I'm confused on verifying and validating registers and supplier questionnaires.

Perhaps I misunderstood the consultant and only the PRP & HACCP related items need the verification and validation? :uhm:

Dear Lacey,

Is it possible  yr question only has (SQF) relevance with respect to HACCP ? . :dunno:

Rgds / Charles.C

Edited by Lacey, 23 January 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Well, for some records like the Contract Services, Product Register, etc, they need to be reviewed annually and that date needs to be recorded when you do the review/update.  You also need to validate the effectiveness of your verifications. 

-Setanta         

jonboy47

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I haven't heard of validating documents... you may be on the right track in stating that it only applies to PRPs and HACCP.  Of course you know that verification and validation of these processes should be done on a scheduled basis, unless there's a change to the program that requires they be done prior to the time these activities are scheduled.  In the same way, documents should be reviewed on a scheduled basis...so in a way, it's a similar process.  To me, regardless of what you call it, you need to make sure these processes are happening (verification of processes and review of documents).

With regard to SQF requirements specifically, you need to carefully review section 2.5 of the standard regarding system verification.  This will help you understand what sort of verifications you're required to do as part of your certification.  :smile:  Records must be kept of all verification and validation activities, maybe this is what your consultant was referring to.  The only thing I find in there related to document verification is 2.5.4, which is a mandatory element, addressing verification of the effectiveness of monitoring activities.  Verifying the effectiveness of monitoring activities will inevitably involve review of documents (records).  I'm sure you're aware that failing to meet a "mandatory" element means you will not receive certification.

I hope that helps you, at least a little bit.  You may want to contact your consultant for clarification, they should make themselves available for questions like this one.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

What type of records need to be kept on verifying and validating all SQF documents?

Hi Lacey,

Examples include internal audits and operation/product inspection records, verification applies to the whole SQF System, validation applies to pre-requisite programs, and validating critical food safety and quality limits. I suggest that you have a read through SQF Guidance for section 2.5 SQF System Verification here are some extracts:

'Examples of verification activities shall include review of inspection records to ensure all monitoring tasks are completed at the frequency that is defined, ensuring that internal audits occur at the frequency defined, ensuring corrective and preventative actions are effectively implemented and product testing.
Examples of validation shall include studies to prove the effectiveness of critical limits.
2.5.1.2 The frequency and methods used to validate and verify food safety fundamentals, critical limits, and other food safety and quality controls identified in food safety plans and food quality plans shall be documented and implemented
2.5.1.3 Records of all verification activities shall be maintained.
Examples of verification activities shall include review of inspection records to ensure all monitoring tasks are completed at the frequency that is defined, ensuring that internal audits occur at the frequency defined, ensuring corrective and preventative actions are effectively implemented and product testing.
Examples of validation shall include studies to prove the effectiveness of critical limits. Examples could be reviewing product temperature on a scheduled thermal process, microbiological testing of product to ensure desired reduction of product rinse system and product quality panel reviews for finished product.

Validation methods for CCP’s or CQP’s must demonstrate that the hazard is adequately controlled. Possible validation for intervention steps used in the processing of product such as a “kill” step, may be one of the following:
• Scientific literature;
• Peer-reviewed published research;
• In-house or laboratory challenge studies;
• Reference to legally defined CCP’s, such as for the pasteurization of milk.
The SQF practitioner is responsible for establishing a frequency schedule and methods for validating and verifying all parts of the supplier’s SQF System.
Verification applies to the entire SQF System and includes methods such as sampling, internal audit and re-validation to demonstrate that the SQF System is working and is effective.
2.5.2 Validation & Effectiveness (M)
2.5.2.1 The methods, responsibility and criteria for ensuring the effectiveness of pre-requisite programs, and validating critical food safety and quality limits to ensure they achieve their intended purpose shall be documented and implemented.
2.5.2.2 Records of all validation activities shall be maintained.

Example:
Personnel processing practices: Observe employees during the internal audit or daily operational inspection to ensure they are meeting the requirements of the program.
2.5.4 Verification of Monitoring Activities
Monitoring records must be checked for accuracy and timeliness by someone in a position of authority.
'

Here are examples of validation and verification records:

Attached File  CCP Validation - Cleaning After Nut Production.pdf   283.9KB   574 downloads

Attached File  H&H Audit Factory GMP Audit Report.pdf   210.48KB   504 downloads

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

Joe Gillespie

Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

I was hit with a minor from the SQF auditor for not producing a "Food Quality Plan" validation. Has anyone got an example of a validation record for one?

Edited by Charles.C, 30 October 2015 - 01:04 PM.
quote frame removed

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

I was hit with a minor from the SQF auditor for not producing a "Food Quality Plan" validation. Has anyone got an example of a validation record for one?

The document might relate to what yr product / CCQP (or QCCP?) was?

The basic requirements are, from memory, detailed in the Guidance documents, eg follow the analogous logic to (safety)HACCP

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

The document might relate to what yr product / CCQP (or QCCP?) was?

The basic requirements are, from memory, detailed in the Guidance documents, eg follow the analogous logic to (safety)HACCP

I've posted this before, but I think it's appropriate to re-post here:

HACCP for Food Safety                                    HACCP for Food Quality

1) Assemble the HACCP Team                                                  1) Assemble the Food Quality Plan Development Team 

2) Describe the product                                                              2) Prepare the product specification 

3) Identify intended use                                                              3) Identify intended use (as per FSP) 

4) Construct flow diagram                                                          4) Construct flow diagram (as per FSP)

5) On-site verification of flow diagram                                        5) Onsite verification of flow diagram (as per FSP)

6) List all potential food safety hazards                                      6) List all potential food quality threats

Construct hazard analysis                                                          Construct threat analysis

Determine control measures                                                      Determine control measures

7) Deterine CCP's                                                                       7) Determine CQP's (Critical Quality Points)

8) Establish critical limits for each CCP                                      8) Establish critical limits for each CQP

9) Establish a monitoring system for each CCP                         9) Establish a monitoring system for each CQP      

10) Establish corrective actions                                                 10) Establish corrective actions

11) Establish verification procedures                                         11) Establish verification procedures

12) Establish record keeping and documentation procedures   12) Establish record keeping and document procedures                              

Thanked by 2 Members:

3esa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

I've never dealt with a food quality plan so I cannot say definitely.  But, SQF mandates that your food quality plan be validated for level 3 (7.2 ed 2.4.4).  My impression is that this is analogous to performing a HACCP plan validation.  In which case this has to depend on what your product is, what the food quality risks are, and proving that what you is capable of controlling hazards to a specified outcome.

3esa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

this thread is very good, I used it to improve my verification and validation activities prior to my 2nd SQF audit and it passed with flying colors as they say

http://www.ifsqn.com...m-verification/

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users