Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

I can not find anything that address this issue in version 6. We are a small cheese production facility. Currently we take the 40 lb block out of there cardboard boxes in the walk in and cart them into the processing area. The are cut, bagged, sealed, and then taken to the lable area, all of this is done by hand. In addition to getting ready for our first BRC audit we are also looking at automating this line. Our original thought is to have the pallets of blocks brought into the room, processed and finished cases of bars would leave the room. I need to know if we need  to to make the room large enought to accomondate upacking the 40 lb blocks and packing finished cases of product or if we need to keep all cardboard out of the processing room. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

In my experience in the yogurt industry, which isn't that far off from yours, we were having yeast/mold issues and one thing we did that arguably may have helped lower the plate counts was removing cardboard from the filling room.

The problem with cardboard is that it can hold mold and other various microbiological things, especially if it gets wet, and that can be released into the ambient environment.

I suggest you keep it out of the production area for that reason alone.  That's all I really have on cardboard. 

Of course yogurt has a higher water activity level than cheese... but having it in there certainly can't help much if anything.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

I can not find anything that address this issue in version 6. We are a small cheese production facility. Currently we take the 40 lb block out of there cardboard boxes in the walk in and cart them into the processing area. The are cut, bagged, sealed, and then taken to the lable area, all of this is done by hand. In addition to getting ready for our first BRC audit we are also looking at automating this line. Our original thought is to have the pallets of blocks brought into the room, processed and finished cases of bars would leave the room. I need to know if we need  to to make the room large enought to accomondate upacking the 40 lb blocks and packing finished cases of product or if we need to keep all cardboard out of the processing room. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

The expectation would be that you have a 'deboxing' area and the blocks are rinsed/sanitised as they pass to the production area.

In small production facilities there may be a lower expectation but the auditor will want you to have considered the risks such as cardboard dust, foreign bodies and Yeasts/Moulds contaminating the product and affecting product quality.

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Dear Kevin Burnsteel,

I deduce that you are essentially just reprocessing/packing cheese blocks rather than the full production process ?

You didn't mention what type of cheese involved but, just as an aside, you might make sure you are genned up for BRC regarding the risk status of yr "processing' area. There was a lengthy thread of similar nature last year which revealed considerable confusion in the interpretation of the BRC evaluation scheme (ie tree). Less hassle if only hard cheese though.

Of course, if this is not first audit, i guess you are fully expert on such issues already. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hi Charles,

I should have clarified that we also produce the cheese in question (Cheddars, Jacks, and Feta) however we do not allow cardboard or wood in the cheese production area of the plant. We currently do not allow cardboard into the cut and wrap side of the plant mostly due to space issues. Labeling and boxing happens in a sperate area for the same reason so this has not been an issue in the past.  Revised enginers drawins show un boxing and finished cases in this room. This has been brought up but i can find nothing specific to support not doing it. My reasons for not wanting to do it this way arethe same as MerelW and Tony's. Gap Audit is in two and a half weeks. 

Kevin

areiser

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I am the GM of a paperboard converting company and an area we specialize in is products for food packaging and handling. We manufacture a water resistant product that is safe for direct food contact. what are the specifications of the board you areusing in your cheese factory. perhaps we have a solution available for you.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I am the GM of a paperboard converting company and an area we specialize in is products for food packaging and handling. We manufacture a water resistant product that is safe for direct food contact. what are the specifications of the board you areusing in your cheese factory. perhaps we have a solution available for you.

If that is so post some evidence

Regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi Charles,

I should have clarified that we also produce the cheese in question (Cheddars, Jacks, and Feta) however we do not allow cardboard or wood in the cheese production area of the plant. We currently do not allow cardboard into the cut and wrap side of the plant mostly due to space issues. Labeling and boxing happens in a sperate area for the same reason so this has not been an issue in the past.  Revised enginers drawins show un boxing and finished cases in this room. This has been brought up but i can find nothing specific to support not doing it. My reasons for not wanting to do it this way arethe same as MerelW and Tony's. Gap Audit is in two and a half weeks. 

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I suggest that you put your advice in writing to your manager and copy everyone that has the power to make decisions or has influence within the company.

I find that few senior managers listen to words if they don't want to hear them but when something is put in writing they tend to act!

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 30 January 2014 - 06:28 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

In BRC version 6; hard cheese is exempt from the high care / high risk categories, however, most cheese manufacturers are putting in segregation to have deboxing one side of a wall and some have put in sanitiser or UV into high care.  It's not necessarily therefore not compliant with BRC but you would need to demonstrate your controls on micro and foreign matter i.e. can you have segregated areas for card and wood? 

Also as a PP said, you need to watch out on your micro counts but Listeria would be my worry.  Wooden pallets when they get wet stay wet for a long time.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Also as a PP said, you need to watch out on your micro counts but Listeria would be my worry.  Wooden pallets when they get wet stay wet for a long time.

Although I understand your concerns regarding wood some science behind an opinion helps.

'In hard cheese (<39% moisture), seven studies provided data on growth and survival. Of 11 data points available, 10 indicated declines in Listeria monocytogenes populations with an estimated growth rate range of -0.003 to -0.228 log10 cfu/day at 5°C'.

Attached File  Risk_Profile_Listeria_Monocytogenes-Science_Research.pdf   834.56KB   30 downloads

More relevant information also available here:

http://foodsafety.ws.../pathogens.html

http://www.cdc.gov/f...a-and-food.html

Regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Most retailers have a not detected target for Listeria and reject if detected which is why they're pushing for high care facilities.

areiser

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

What would you like provided as evidence? What exactly do you want evidence of?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I think the safe for food contact card is a moot point; the card in question is card from boxes which have been in low risk areas.  That's what makes it a risk not the card grade.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users