• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I would like to know if any of you included eyeglasses worn by employees on your Glass and Brittle plastic Policy?

We currently do not have it on it and a couple auditors have ask about it.

Thanks in advance ....

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

We don't but we do have a glasses/contact lens policy which outlines what to do if a lens is lost or broken in the production area, and it is part of Induction training.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

I keep a register of lens & glasses wearers, and we have a section in our glass breakage procedure that addresses the loss of a lens or broken glasses. I don't audit them.

Caz x

Ruhama

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Lesotho
    Lesotho
  • Interests:I love God, I like Food Safety and Quality, I like watching Tyler Perry's Movies. Auditing and customers visits interests me a lot.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

I keep a register of lens & glasses wearers, and we have a section in our glass breakage procedure that addresses the loss of a lens or broken glasses. I don't audit them.

Caz x

Dear Caz

I agree that they cant be audited. Please clarify this for me: do they register their glasses every day before they go to the plant, or you just keep all the names of the employees who wear spectacles?

Regards

Ruhama Thooko

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Highlands Trout (Pty) Ltd

Jehova Jire

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

I just keep a list of who wears glasses. If I registered the glasses every day, then that would be an audit!

Thanked by 1 Member:

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thank you all for your input. I think that we would just add a section on the policy about what to do in case someone losses or breaks their glasses.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

we have thought about this, but we have decided to stay we the policy and rules.

Our idea was that everybody using eyeglasses has to put details about this in a list (type, material, wheight etc.)

As a bakery we have a lot of line with kneaders, mixers etc. With these detailed information you know in the case of problems how many of the eyeglasses is missing during restoration of the line.

Same question arises if a seal (metal, rubber) is disrupted in a pump and no sieve is installed behind this point, can be installed there.

Regards

moskitio

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

we have thought about this, but we have decided to stay we the policy and rules.

Our idea was that everybody using eyeglasses has to put details about this in a list (type, material, wheight etc.)

As a bakery we have a lot of line with kneaders, mixers etc. With these detailed information you know in the case of problems how many of the eyeglasses is missing during restoration of the line.

Same question arises if a seal (metal, rubber) is disrupted in a pump and no sieve is installed behind this point, can be installed there.

Regards

moskitio

Dear moskito,

You must have an army of QA assistants. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Dear Charles,

not really. But I often involved in discussions with UK customers. We never have had a problems with a product on the market.

But I have had exactly the cases described. We blocked in bowth cases the production line and cleaned. But how to be sure the no foreign material is in a piping or anywere else, which can be released to any time. We are not able to unsrew the equipment.

One employee lost an eyeglass - most of them we found on a screen, some in products at the end of the line. And we tried to reconstruct the glasses. At that time we missed the data about the glasses. How much was found? 50%, 95%? The lot was lost anway, but we have had a good feeling after restarting the line.

Same with the seal - in that case we have had the same type in stock and the "reconstruction" of found parts was easier. Rubber is not the critical point in health risk but the metal part, which is a spring. Disrupting this into small pieces can create pieces which will not detected by the MD due to size/orientation. Same problem as with wires, but this type of metal is hardened and creates pieces with sharp edges.

These 2 examples occured in the last 10 years. Not very often, but we have done risk analysis and developed these ideas. But is always risk-benefit-analysis.

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

I guess this would be similar to a person that needs to wear a metal necklace for identification of a medical condition. We require those personnel to fill out a "jewelry exception" form. We don't audit it, but do require, as part of the "form" that the employee notify supervision if the necklace comes up missing.

It's an interesting point though. At a former job (bakery), there was actually a situation where a worker lost a lens into a dough, but was not aware of it. Not sure if you wear glasses, and a lens goes missing, you can't be aware of it... but anyway. 

Marshall

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brc, glass and brittle plastic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users