• Quick Navigation
Photo

Guide to using Third Party Warehouses to satisfy SQF requirements?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hello,

Our business is SQF level 2 certified. We have a third party warehouse who is not SQF certified. We have conducted an audit to perform a risk assessment, but was curious if anyone else uses third party warehouses and what guidelines used to satisfy SQF requirements?

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

You might checkout the BRC Storage and Distribution Standard which will define guidelines for risk assessing and auditing 3rd party warehouse facilities.

George 

http://www.brcglobal...px#.UwFf4mJ_v0k

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

The IFS Logistic standard is quite similar to BRC Storage and Distribution and can be downloaded for free from the IFS site.

http://www.ifs-certi...s/ifs-logistics

I do not know the SQF standard myself, but I am sure that it includes requirements related to storage/warehouses. If the audit at your third party warehouse is demonstrable based on these requirements and if you have a 'contract' with your third party storage, indicating the requirements from the standard, you will probably be fine.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mazie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

I am up against the same issue - we have a warehouse that holds our products that is not audited by any outside source (they pretty much store our stuff exclusively). Our products are not considered high risk and are stored at room temperature.

As I can not expect to pull them up to SQF standards overnight I am writing an audit guideline based on basic AIB standards.  I do not expect them to have all the programs in place right away - but thought I would give them an action list based on risk and return every 3-6 months until they have all in place. 

I will check out the referenced sites to see if I can find any checklists - as that would be most helpful. :biggrin:  

Thanked by 1 Member:

PYRPYT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Depending of the activities performed by the external warehousing company, they could fall under clause 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 or both. As long as your specifications for the service include all requirements needed to prevent food safety issues you will be fine. I think you are on the right way completing your internal audit to approve the supplier.  In my point of view IFC, BRC and other standard will give you ideas on what must be included in your internal audit.  But just consider that SQF expects to see what are your requirements for this supplier and how you evaluate the supplier (clause 2.4.5).  That's it.  Hope it helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

We are in the same situation.  We were told that the 3rd warehouse is a service provider and you have to control them the same as any other service provider - risk analysis in your HACCP plan, agreed specifications (including food safety practices) sent to them, criteria for approving them as a supplier, review of their approval status, etc.

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thank you all for your help!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

They are subject to audit and would need to follow your requirements for contract service providers.  Better yet, tell them to get certified under SQF, BRC, IFS, etc. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Rosekwan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

They are subject to audit and would need to follow your requirements for contract service providers.  Better yet, tell them to get certified under SQF, BRC, IFS, etc. 

Yes, totally agree.  In addition, consolidated warehousing, of  food products from different accredited suppliers, is subject to food safety audits. A  colleague's warehouse, whose business is export consolidation, follows CODEX:GWP and HACCP  and recently  renewed their certificate from a third-party certifier. BRC is also being asked of them by some clients.    

Cooper12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

i completely agree with the above statement and yes BRC is also asked by clients and it is very important some time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users