• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hi all, 

In order to meet our SQF certification, we are in need of doing some construction in our plant, mostly in personnel areas. But before spending $$$ on our remodel, I wanted to get the opinions from some other brains to make sure I'm not making planning mistake that wouldn't pass our audit. 

I've attached the floor plans for review. 

A little about what we do: We are a low risk  chocolate manufacturer (re-melt into confectionery) that makes handmade bark and hot chocolate products. We are in a building that houses other businesses, so all of our external doors enter into a communal hallway. Because of this it, doesn't offer a lot of external rearrangement of doors and walls, so we are trying to make it work. Our raw to finished goods is pretty good, except for the fact that we only have one warehouse door to bring in ingredients and out finished goods. We also can not move the bottom two bathrooms. 

Any suggestions or comments welcome. 

Thanks! :thumbup:

Attached Files

maddox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

It would be better if you can include the process flow in your layout so it would be easier to see the in and out of your product. :spoton:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

And perhaps you can explain what remodelling you like to do and why.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Communal areas can be quite the challenge in many more ways than just construction. What you "remodel" may not be what you actually need.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Krparker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thank you all for your comments… I’ve updated/ attached the layouts with the process flows for your reference.

As for the Why/ What of the remodeling:  We are trying to achieve level 2 SQF cert. in a company starting from scratch and the layout of the production areas was not even close to compliant.

To highlight the few top issues in the current layout :
·        Kitchen is open (no full walls/ ceilings) and opens directly into the packaging area, size is too small
·        Bathrooms open directly into staging area, need an extra bathroom to meet Osha req.
·        Offices/ Locker rooms/ hallways open directly into packaging areas, no physical separation between gmp/ non-gmp areas. (& people flow not controlled)
·        No hand wash stations upon floor entrance (on floor in not ideal locations)
·        No physical separation between entering (security point)
·        Hot chocolate side did not have a utensil wash area
·        Needed an isolated “wet room” to clean racks / big items

Does anyone see anything in the layout that should be changed? We are limited in some ways due to wall/ plumbing restrictions but would appreciate any and all comments.

A few other considerations:
In this design I have a warehouse roll up door that would be considered our 2nd double door. Would an auditor have any issues with this?
Our packaging and finished good warehouses are down the hallway and open into the inside hallway as well, putting in double doors here is going to be tricky, can we get away with having only one set of door?

Attached Files

Krparker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Communal areas can be quite the challenge in many more ways than just construction. What you "remodel" may not be what you actually need.

Also, 

If our "external" door open into an internal hallway. Could we use air curtains instead of adding double doors ? 

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I am new to SQF but I believe you would have to address all potential contamination risks in your HACCP plan.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users