• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

We are a small baking operation preparing for SQF certification. We usually conduct our Pre-Op testing including ATP test and generic protein swab test before beginning production on a certain day. We reclean if tests come positive and test again. We do not have a dedicated cleaning staff and our production staff does the cleaning. Some times its creating issues and delaying production.

Since the staff cleans up after production on a certain day, is it acceptable to conduct pre-op testing for next day after they clean up on a certain day. That way they can reclean if tests come out positive and save time the next day. Is it acceptable for SQF certification. Wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

sallyinwood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hello

We run a small food manufacturing operation also, I would think it would defeat the purpose  of  Pre-Op testing.

We have a crew of 3 people in our operation and on a rotational basis one person always starts early obviously to set up and if the test does come back negative to re-clean.

I would if the tests are coming back negative on regular basis - cleaning procedures may need reviewing.

Please let me know your thoughts.

N001

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for writing in. If we clean the surfaces the day before, test and make sure they are clean- they are going to be untouched until the next day..so you think that still defeats the purpose? Just wanted to get more opinions.  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for writing in. If we clean the surfaces the day before, test and make sure they are clean- they are going to be untouched until the next day..so you think that still defeats the purpose? Just wanted to get more opinions.  

Dear N001,

It might work if yr auditor has just won the State Lottery. But i wouldn't count on it. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

unacceptable.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Carol88

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi I really don't think that style of cleaning would pass with quality. How do you know what has happened during the night. I work in a juicing company and we clean after production and the next day a sanitizer is run through the lines and swabbing is redone. If negative results a full clean must be repeated. Micro is also performed. Depending on your set up maybe a sanitizer before start up as your plant is already clean and another swab test. Complete a trial to see if it works and yes it is an issue as you can't leave it dirty overnight but you also cannot take the risk of what could have happened overnight. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

Maybe if the room is fully isolated with 24hrs maximum security

Carol88

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

Maybe if the room is fully isolated with 24hrs maximum security

I was thinking along the lines of any pests that may come in during the night (mice, bugs, cockroaches). Any unsanitised creature. Security will not stop them and they can slip past the best pest control. I would sanitise before production.

Thanked by 1 Member:

N001

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

Share this