• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Hi All,

So we are a small organisation 16 staff, management team consists of a GM, Plant Manager and me the Compliance Supervisor. We are in the process attaining certification to a GFSI Benchmarked scheme. In looking at the BRC self assessment tool I came across the below clause. Currently I am the only one carrying out internal audits. The QC Supervisor also reports to me. I do understand that it is best practice for the auditor to be independent from the audited dept. but sometimes this can be difficult in smaller organisations. Is this a must? or will BRC auditors be understanding about resource shortfall in smaller companies. I guess the alternative is that either the GM/Plant Manager will have to conduct the audits or we'll need to hire a consultant.

Internal audits shall be carried out by appropriately trained competent auditors, who are independent from the audited department.

By the way, can someone tell me what is the colour coding mean on the BRC Self Assesments tool document green or pink shading where clause numbering is?

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

You can't audit your own work.  That's the basis of that clause.  You will need an auditor from each area of your plant.  So let's say you may have a couple manager, a packager, a processer, a warehouse person, someone from the lab.

If your auditing processing then you can have the lab tech do it.  If your auditing something in the warehouse you can have a packager do it.  We have 20 employees and 6 internal auditors.  Our office manager is one of them so she is independent of all of production.  It can be tough but it can be done.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Bill78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Family, Golf and all things BBQ

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Internal auditing is one of the clauses that can be a challenge for all organizations, especially smaller ones. Our company has a small management staff ( 3 ),  with line production workers that would have zero time to do internal audits. We have three internal auditors and divide up all the different audits (+30) between us. Some are completed individually and some of them we do in 2 person teams. We have documented our thought process as to who does what so that our BRC auditors can review our process. My advice would do the very best you can to meet the clause and document your decision process. You can only do what your senior management allows you to do, and sometimes that means not meeting the letter of the law, in terms of the Standard. We have had different BRC auditors and not one of them has challenged our process. We are as independent as possible, our programs and auditing processes are robust and well documented. We are a grade A facility. Hope that helps. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

The guys have given you good advice, it's important that who ever is doing the internal audits has the requisite training.

The colour coding refers to what is assessed on unannounced audits

The pink colour refers to GMP and would be assessed the unannounced part of an unannounced audit, the green refers to records, systems and documentation which is assessed during the scheduled part of the unannounced audit. Where both colours appear this area will be audit both for GMP and records etc...

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ragga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I shall take it up with management, does SQF have the same requirement as far as this goes? 

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I shall take it up with management, does SQF have the same requirement as far as this goes? 

SQF have the same requirement as far as this goes? 

Yes it does:

Level 2 & 3

2.5.7    Internal Audits (M)

2.5.7.1  The   methods   and   responsibility   for scheduling and conducting internal audits to verify the effectiveness of the SQF System including facility and equipment inspections, pre-requisite programs, food safety plans and legislative controls shall be documented and implemented. The methods applied shall ensure:

i.      An internal audit schedule is prepared detailing the scope and frequency of internal audits;

ii.      Correction and corrective action of deficiencies identified during the internal audits are undertaken;

iii.      Audit results are communicated to relevant management personnel and staff responsible for implementing and verifying corrective actions; and

iv.      Records of internal audits and any corrections and corrective action taken as a result of internal audits shall be maintained.

2.5.7.2  Staff conducting internal Audits shall be trained in internal audit procedures.

2.5.7.3 Where possible staff conducting internal Audits shall be independent of the function being audited.

It does give somewhat of a pass on non-independence... as Bill78 suggests.

Edited by baron, 07 July 2014 - 09:24 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

Here is an issue from a larger manufacturer who went with BRC Certification.  At first we only had one BRC certified internal auditor (me).  So when it came to conducting the internal audit we went OH  OH  :shutup: .  So we corporate come in and do it with me, fine success.  Next time we decided to train some members of the team and od it ourselves. Again success.  Now we are preparing for our next internal audit and we have run into an issue.  Those previously trained have left the company or changed positions and no longer able to assist due to scheduling.  We are now short a few bodies and will have to double or triple up workloads to complete.  Cost of training was a little expensive and now I need to see if company will be willing to train a few more for next year.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users