Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have a simple word document listing target allergen, equipment to be clean, reference cleaning SOP and validation method (aka test kit) , results  comments.

What should I be putting in my letter of Annual Allergen Validation? 

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

As long as you have in the results your positive and negative controls, and include in the comments section that the clean has effectively removed all of the allergens, I think you have it covered.  I would also put in dates & what was run on the lines. 

7/28/14 - Line 5 - Product X (contains allergen) to Product Y (no allergen)

Product X -  >20 ppm

Surface post clean  - Not Detected

While I did run AOAC method to do my allergen testing initially in house, once I was sure the clean outs were effective, I sent samples to a 3rd party lab which was accredited for allergen testing.

AFAIK, Allergen validation only have to be completed once (with new equipment or a new allergen cleaning procedure) - not annually, but perhaps your system is set up differently.  Becuase we only had to complete once, the cost of sending to an accredited lab was justified.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

I have a simple word document listing target allergen, equipment to be clean, reference cleaning SOP and validation method (aka test kit) , results  comments.

What should I be putting in my letter of Annual Allergen Validation? 

Very cryptic.

Letter to whom ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Charles,

Haha, just my cautious side due to nondisclosure sensitivities. Usually I write a letter to my own company detailing Allergen Validation using commercial kits, what method the kits employ. I include date, times, production line and product/allergen involve. I state in the letter the results of positive ( pre-rinse test), the results of the test/cleaning.  Is there any other information I should add?  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Charles,

Haha, just my cautious side due to nondisclosure sensitivities. Usually I write a letter to my own company detailing Allergen Validation using commercial kits, what method the kits employ. I include date, times, production line and product/allergen involve. I state in the letter the results of positive ( pre-rinse test), the results of the test/cleaning.  Is there any other information I should add?  

Dear SPL,

Thks for clarification. Very cathartic I’m sure. :smile:

Slightly difficult to comment much in the absence of  method details. I deduce yr “validation”  is related to the cleaning sufficiency  rather than the analytical component. And is based on a “rinse” study.

I selected five  arbitrary documents which seem to me to give a rather comprehensive coverage of the cleaning  aspect  –

Attached File  VAL1 - Allergen Cleaning Validation, step-by-step.pdf   2.14MB   760 downloads

(typo in first line section D)

Attached File  Val2 - allergen cleaning validation strategies.pdf   117.53KB   543 downloads

(especially pg 454 et seq.)

Attached File  Val3 - allergen cleaning validation, extract.pdf   518.44KB   555 downloads

Attached File  Val4 - SQF Allergen-Cleaning validation.pdf   91.73KB   605 downloads

http://www.foodsafet...clean-standard/

Based on comparing the contents of above to your posted  “precis”, at least 4 items may be contenders to be added to yr “letter” –

(1) additional swab-type evaluations.

(2) du/tri-plications in sampling.

(3) verification which is a necessary part of the “combo”.

(4) Quantitative aspects.

Of course (1-4)  may have already been accounted for in yr full treatment or their applicability limited by yr actual process"X

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Dear SPL,

Thks for clarification. Very cathartic I’m sure. :smile:

Slightly difficult to comment much in the absence of  method details. I deduce yr “validation”  is related to the cleaning sufficiency  rather than the analytical component. And is based on a “rinse” study.

I selected five  arbitrary documents which seem to me to give a rather comprehensive coverage of the cleaning  aspect  –

attachicon.gifVAL1 - Allergen Cleaning Validation, step-by-step.pdf

(typo in first line section D)

attachicon.gifVal2 - allergen cleaning validation strategies.pdf

(especially pg 454 et seq.)

attachicon.gifVal3 - allergen cleaning validation, extract.pdf

attachicon.gifVal4 - SQF Allergen-Cleaning validation.pdf

http://www.foodsafet...clean-standard/

Based on comparing the contents of above to your posted  “precis”, at least 4 items may be contenders to be added to yr “letter” –

(1) additional swab-type evaluations.

(2) du/tri-plications in sampling.

(3) verification which is a necessary part of the “combo”.

(4) Quantitative aspects.

Of course (1-4)  may have already been accounted for in yr full treatment or their applicability limited by yr actual process"X

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,

Thanks you for the info.

Sorry again, too focus driven. I meant to title this allergen cleaning validation. When I get focus driven and I forget to mention certain details.  I haven't had my letters of allergen cleaning validation questioned by our past two SQF auditors. I wanted to make I had enough information but not too much. I am confident with our cleaning validation methods, with working directly with the manufacturer.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Dear SPL,

Well, in view of the "SQF" the attachment Val 4 would appear adequate to test sufficiency. The exact implementation depends on the processX of course.

My comments (1-4) et seq would appear to remain valid. Hopefully already addressed. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

HI SPL

I have a Technical Audit Report, which is probably the same as your letter!

In it, I outline which allergens we handle on site, which products contains which allergen, which test methods I'm going to use (rapid, PCR etc) and what I'm going to test (before & after cleaning)

I also send away samples of product with the known allergen in, and the first product after an allergen clean. I have done this for each allergen.

Hope this helps

Caz x

foodsafetyAUS

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

Hi all,

If the allergen that need to be validated is a sachet e.g. a pine nut sachet. Can we contaminate the required surfaces with pine nuts and swab the area. Conduct the cleaning and swab the area. Please advise. Thanks 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users