• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if it fits into this specific thread, so I apologize beforehand if it isn't.

To begin our company just got certified for level 3 SQF. We have a main SQF practitioner who is also the QA manager. Then there is me who is the backup practitioner and operations director. 

When it comes to verifying the production side of things, and doing plant inspections, do those responsibilities fall upon the SQF main practitioner? Or can the backup, who is also the operations director (who deals with daily production and has a team) do this as well? 

Thanks

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if it fits into this specific thread, so I apologize beforehand if it isn't.

To begin our company just got certified for level 3 SQF. We have a main SQF practitioner who is also the QA manager. Then there is me who is the backup practitioner and operations director. 

When it comes to verifying the production side of things, and doing plant inspections, do those responsibilities fall upon the SQF main practitioner? Or can the backup, who is also the operations director (who deals with daily production and has a team) do this as well? 

Thanks

Do you have internal auditor training?   You never want to audit your own work, which may be the issue?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

enomis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yes I do. Basically we take one of our production workers and we have them go through the checklist while we monitor and verify at the end. I am just wondering if our main practitioner is the only one who can verify. Or can the second practitioner do it as well

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

2.4.3 under the guidance document "The HACCP Plan is not a static document. Critical limits must be re-validated at least annually (refer 2.5.2.1 v) by the SQF practitioner, and the entire Food Safety Plan verified annually. When changes occur in the process, the HACCP Plan must be updated and re-validated to reflect the changes (refer 2.1.4.3)."

"The SQF practitioner ensures that the Food Safety Plan is effectively developed, implemented, maintained, and verified (refer 2.1.2.4 i)."

The SQF practitioner is responsible for ensuring that all validation and verification activities are carried out. The SQF practitioner may utilize internal or external resources to conduct these activities, but takes responsibility for ensuring they are carried out.

2.5.1"The SQF practitioner is responsible for establishing a frequency schedule and methods for validating and verifying all parts of the supplier’s SQF System. An SQF consultant may be utilized by the facility to aid in verification activities, however ultimate responsibility for verification and validation must belong to the supplier management and the SQF practitioner."

So to summarize nowhere do I see backup SQF Practitioner is responsible for...

You can argue that SQF practitioner may utilize internal sources to conduct these activities. However as Magenta Majors stated, it looks like a conflict if interest if you're essentially grading your own paper. If your directly in charge of an area Operations Director and you are validating operations then you do not comply with

2.5.7.3 Where possible staff conducting internal audits shall be independent of the function being audited.

enomis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:52 AM

I wouldn't be verifying my work but my teams work. Do you get what I mean. I am not auditing my work. I am just doing daily verifications or monthly etc.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

As far as daily verifications of HACCP documents only the HACCP Coordinator or the HACCP Coordinator back up can sign off.

For Daily Production Forms I do not see a reason why a Plant Manager, Production Manager or in your case an Operations Director to sign off on these forms. After all this is what you are responsible for...production. 

If your SQF auditor got you for a non-conformance during your Level 3 audit, it is probably because there are no QA/QC verification checks during the processing which could be shown in a form of an initial on the production form. 

I would also assume that the information that are on these daily production forms are in direct relation to some sort of PRP which QA/QC should be checking on a regular basis, not necessarily the SQF Practitioner.

enomis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Alright.

So back to plant inspection form. This is such an overview of what needs to be done around the plant. Like shipping receiving area. Production room. Outside etc. This needs to be signed off by the qa manager? Or can warehouse manager sign off while another worker completes the check.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users